Monday, January 17, 2011

Genealogy Art Project

 There is someone else, who lives under my roof, who is very creative and innovative. You guessed it, my husband. At Christmas he revealed to those in attendance that he was designing each family a shield which would have the ancient crests belonging to their family surnames. He unveiled the beginnings of ours, those belonging to Mark and me. The shield for us is very large, 4 1/2 ft. The other shields will be half that size
The Burgess crests are up above and the Titze crests below. Not all surnames have crests and some are more artistic than others. Mark has done an amazing job with the layout and overall design.
This is my maiden name Titze. Serpent is above, symbol of river in the middle, and a dove below. The interpretation is up for debate but I'll go with the New Testament connection; be wise as serpents and harmless as a dove. (Matt.10:16)
This one is my maternal grandmother's name, Lindner. It comes from the Linden tree, but I think this looks more like a palm tree.
Krause is my paternal great-grandmother's name. Her crest is very royal looking with the lion and scroll.

Working on any genealogy project brings a closeness to these people. As you contemplate the knowledge you have of family, affection rekindles. These are my roots, what makes me, me,  from the floor up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?