Saturday, January 29, 2011

My First Piano Adventures 2

This blog post gives me a chance to explain why we do some of the activities in this First Piano Adventures Book. I will not be explaining these things to your children. To them these are just fun games, but they do have a purpose.The first activity you will see and hear is Stone on the Mountain. Putting an imaginary stone in your hand gives a rounded shape. A relaxed rounded shape of the hand at the piano is the goal. It takes some time to achieve and may be easier for some children.
Using a donut shape to play the piano is another way to naturally shape the hand. The thumb behind the third finger gives support and keeps the hand relaxed. I will be using the donut to do many exercises up and down the piano.
Raising the wrists into a catback prepares the hands to learn a gesture which facilitates movement. We practice coming from a rounded hand with a flat top to raising the wrists and pressing the fingertips to release the hands from the keys.These are preparatory games laying a foundation of technique at the piano.
This week we practiced drumming to continue finding the inner steady beat. Some children come with a natural ability to feel a beat in their body and others learn it through continuous exposure.
Bringing along a friend or two to watch your piano lesson is always fun, especially if they are wise, old owls.
And lastly, having an older sister at home to watch and imitate is ideal.

I hope these explanations are helpful. The process of writing them down helps me to first, think through my technique teaching, and second meet my obligation to be accountable to you as parents for how I teach your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?