Friday, January 14, 2011

Pilates On the Floor

A year ago I embraced the offer from one of my piano student's mother to trade piano lessons for Pilates classes. I knew very little about this form of strength training and I am still surprised I went into this with such an open mind. I give Arlette the credit. She never ceases to challenge me and come up with new ways to work this chubby body of mine.
Arlette is straight forward and direct. Her directions are clear and varied. If she sees that I don't understand she has another way ready to use as explanation. It has taken time to ready my mind and body to hear her. Since we are doing this one on one I can't hide or mentally wander. I am developing new eyes. These eyes see inside my mind and connect to my body. Hearing her direction the first time leaves me confused because I  try to comprehend with only my brain. Then as I experiment,  the feelings from my body open up these new eyes to see what it is that I should do.
The Pilates equipment is wonderful. Each device has multiple uses and they are designed to work single, or small groups of muscles. I never feel sore after even though I have worked very hard.
I trust Arlette to know what my body can do and how far I can go. 
She certainly is an inspiration and I enjoy seeing her strength and fluid moves.
I may not look like I am more fit but there are more muscles inhabiting my body than ever before. I surely love that floor in the Pilates Studio.




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?