Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Cozy Place to Find a Read

I am not much of a traveler but I have learned that there are two things to visit in every new place I go.One is a local art gallery and second is an independent bookseller. There you will find beautiful images of the town you are in, a source of history, and warm and talented people. I found that to be the case in Denver where the Tattered Cover gave hours of enjoyment from floor to floor. The King's English in Salt Lake City is like going to your best friend's house and having wall to wall book shelves to peruse.My town has just such a bookstore.
The Bookshop sells both old and new books with great selections. If you can't find it on their shelves they will get it for you. The space is warm and inviting.
My favorite corner to page through a new book. Look at that lamp. What do you think is on the base?
Books of course!
Meet one of the owners, Morgan. At her young and tender age she is already a business mogul. What does she do with her free time? Read. She reads and reads so that she can give good book recommendations when you come in wanting a really special book to transport you from your crazy real life. She also knits, a lot. She has knitted at my house while visiting with her friend, my daughter. They make a cozy pair to have for dinner, well I don't eat them, but I do eat up the fun conversation.
Amazon may be able to give you book recommendations but they can't cozy up with you on their couch and talk about how much you love Maisie Dobbs. (More about her later) Long live Independent Booksellers!! I wish the Shop Around the Corner was still there. So plop down on their floor sometime. You'll find something there, I promise.
www.vashonbookshop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?