Thursday, March 3, 2011

Happy Birthday Miss M

Today is Miss M's 10th birthday. How time flies. I remember the day I took her out in the stroller and talked to her about life. I told her that she was my first grandchild and I did not know how to be a Grandma, but I assured her that God had given me a large measure of love for her and I didn't think it would be too hard. 
Miss M. has quite an imagination. Very early on I could  invent a situation and she was always ready to come aboard. My favorite little story starter was when we named the woods behind their house the Hundred Acre Woods. We always packed a little something before setting out on our "exposition". In the woods we would find Piglet's house, Rabbit's house, Pooh's corner and it amazed me how Miss M. reclaimed these exact spots on each visit.
Our all time favorite game has been, "What is Missing". Find a collection of small things and lay them on the ground. Hide your eyes and someone takes something away. Then open tour eyes and discover what is missing.
I made up stories when Miss M was small. She would sit enraptured for a long time and then upon the re-telling would correct my obvious errors. She can remember everything if you attach it to a plot line.
When she learned to read life opened up for her. Books could transport her to countless new places. It was common for Miss M. to begin a telling in the middle and assume I had read her book as well. I began explaining that I had no context for her narration. Unperturbed she would press forward until after a while I started to follow the story.
Gone are the chubby cheeks but the smile is still the same and the extra loud "Grandma" declaration when I appear at her door is as vibrant as ever. Now she wants to talk about make-up and stylish clothes so a new beginning has emerged and soon I will be the Grandma of a teenager. Happy Birthday Miss M. You are loved!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?