Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Two Lists About Yoga

In conversation I have talked to a few people about body image. Most people dislike their bodies. I have lived 40 years ignoring my body until it cried out for help. Sitting in my first yoga classes I could only recognize two sensations in my body; feeling good and hurting. The teacher asked questions that I could not answer, such as; what does your body need right now? Where is the tension in your body? Can you feel energy move through your body? What in the heck was she talking about?
My body image is like these new crocuses. They are new and hopeful and testify of the coming of spring. I have a new feeling about my body. It is hopeful that I might be able to respond with love and attention to this body that is mine.
Two Lists:
Symptoms of Having an Unconnected Mind and Body 
  1. I breathe shallowly.
  2. My thoughts run wild and I feel agitated by things that have not happened.
  3. I tense muscles without cause.
  4. I can't relax to fall asleep.
  5. I don't know what it feels to be hungry.
  6. When I exercise I over due because I want to prove that I can do it.
How Yoga Has Helped Me Connect My Mind and Body
  1. I have learned to listen to my breath.
  2. I have learned to sit still.
  3. I have learned to be conscious of my breath and stay with that awareness.
  4. I have learned to differentiate between pain and stretching.
  5. I have learned to notice muscles that are working when they do not need to.
  6. I have learned to relax my whole body.
  7. I have learned gratitude for my body.
  8. I have learned to block out others perceived expectations in a yoga class.
  9. I have learned that my body size does not make me unworthy to move.
These are not complete lists but I liked making them.
This is a good place to show up each day.

For man is aspirit. The elements are beternal, and cspirit and element, inseparably connected, receive a fulness of joy; And when aseparated, man cannot receive a fulness of joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?