Saturday, May 21, 2011

A Family Visit


This visit to Germany has not only brought me to my Mama Daughter but it has also given me a chance to be with my singing brother and his wife. You know, I am a real chicken at heart and I didn't think I would fly here alone. Upon hearing that my brother was attending a conference in Frankfurt at the same time I wanted to visit was just too great an opportunity to miss. We flew her together and then he will be staying with me a while upon my return.
I was also blessed to visit with my cousin's daughter who lives a couple of hours from the MamaDaughter. She came with her partner and we talked about the differences in being German and American. My German was put to the test as I tried to express myself and ask intelligible questions. They were better at English than I am at German.
My brother and sister in-law went on up to northern Germany to visit two other cousins. We have only four living cousins left in the world. We are the generation that carry the memories of long dead ancestors and beloved parents. I am always aware that connecting past to present is like having windows and mirrors to look through. Windows because as I see into the past I am given more understanding and appreciation, and mirrors because as I see into the future I see the faces of ancestors reflected back at me.
Windows and mirrors, reflection so bright
One borrowed image, the other pure light
You are within us, you give us your sight
To vistas extended, beyond present might.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?