Monday, July 4, 2011

A Cascade of Cousins


Summertime is a season to visit family. Reunions are planned and great effort is expended to bring old and young together. It is a grand time to have cousins. I did not have many cousins and the ones I had were not close to my age. That is the problem with being a child born late in the life of my parents. I developed an interest in my cousins when I became an adult and when I realized that they knew many valuable things about my family.
A Burgess Bunch
My grandchildren are now exploring their cousins and I find it fascinating how their perspectives are always in flux depending on their ages. We bring these children together and tell them that this group is different from other children. This group is special because they are related to you.

Kolditz Klan

This group of children will be your friends forever even if you don't like them today.Their parents are your aunts and uncles who like you because they like your parents, mostly.

Some Titze Tots
So, when I plan an event with children from more than one family I put aside the extra work and commotion and try to concentrate on the anticipation that these encounters will provide lasting memories. That knowing about these people will help define who they are.
Under the Titze Tent
Happy Fourth of July and happy family reunions everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?