Friday, October 7, 2011

What is Your Ark?

In seminary this week we have studied Genesis 6-10. I wanted to get my student's feet wet in the realm of symbols so I dove into the Noah story with the motive of finding a second meaning. The flood was both a disaster and a blessing. "What are the floods in your life?", I asked my class. 
 Their floods washed up as, temptation, tests at school, responsibilities, divorce, commitments, and others in a similar vein.

  "So, what arks have you built to get you through these floods?" There was some silliness but here is a sampling of responses. Scriptures, my family, prayer, soccer, friends, my home, food were the answers that seemed heartfelt.










    If your students are working with clay they listen for a while longer.These are our arks.

 The storms will undoubtedly take our arks into deep water but God gave detailed instructions to Noah on how to build that boat. He has done the same for you and me. Whether the sailing is smooth or rough I rely on the ark to keep me safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?