Monday, June 11, 2012

Book of Mormon Sunday II- 3 Nephi 11-17


  I read this section of the Book of Mormon often but today I am reading with the intent to find the strengthening power of the atonement. The Lord Jesus Christ comes in power and the first thing he does is bestow power. The power he gives is Priesthood power and this power is at the heart of the atonement. Calling on this people to repent of their sins, to give up their own agendas, he grants them power to be made whole in their ability to be connected to Him and to our Father above, whose voice they all heard.

3 Nephi 11:32 "And this is my doctrine, and it is the doctrine which the Father hath given unto me; and I bear record of the Father, and the Father beareth record of me, and the Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and me; and I bear record that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me."

  As I imagine being with these people I wonder if I could be strong enough to have this spiritual experience. Did they have to be given power to endure his presence? 

3 Nephi 12:2 "And again, more blessed are they who shall believe in your words because that ye shall testify that ye have seen me, and that ye know that I am. Yea, blessed are they who shall believe in your words, and come down into the depths of humility and be baptized, for they shall be visited with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and shall receive a remission of their sins."


   The enabling power of the Holy Ghost is truly an important gift which these people will desire above all other gifts as his visit comes to an end. I believe this power will bring to their minds, many of the words spoken by the Savior which they were too overwhelmed to fully understand. Those with physical ailments and certainly emotional ailments, desired healing from Him as he had done in Jersusalem. Their abilities could be enhanced once these ills were made whole. 
    3 Nephi 17:8 "For I perceive that ye desire that I should show unto you what I have done unto your brethren at Jerusalem, for I see that your faith is sufficient that I should heal you."
  According to the Hebrew definition of perfect, "to be made whole", Jesus brought this completeness to everyone present. In chapter 12 he announces his desire for this people to be perfect and this came to pass.
   3 Nephi 12:48 "Therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect."
   The process of perfection brought the people and the Savior, Jesus Christ, to a very vulnerable and sacred space. It was powerful enough to open the heavens and allow angels to witness and teach the children. This teaching was strong enough to last for three generations. 
   3 Nephi 17:22 "And when he had done this he wept again; And he spake unto the multitude, and said unto them: Behold your little ones. And as they looked to behold they cast their eyes towards heaven, and they saw the heavens open, and they saw angels descending out of heaven as it were in the midst of fire; and they came down and encircled those little ones about, and they were encircled about with fire; and the angels did minister unto them."
    Could we also have this "oneness" with him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?