Sunday, June 24, 2012

Book of Mormon Sunday II- 3 Nephi 18-24 and Morning Lines #4

What better lines to read in the morning than these;

3 Nephi 11:15 "And it came to pass that the multitude went forth, and thrust their hands into his side, and did feel the prints of the nails in his hands and in his feet; and this they did do, going forth one by one until they had all gone forth, and did see with their eyes and did feel with their hands, and did know of a surety and did bear record, that it was he, of whom it was written by the prophets, that should come."



   In keeping with my desire to look for the enabling power of the atonement in these verses of scripture, I am aware of the power Christ has heal, magnify, and sanctify these people who are gathered with him. One of the most important gifts Jesus gives is the authority to bestow the Gift of the Holy Ghost.
    3 Nephi 18:37 "And the multitude heard not the words which he spake, therefore they did not bear record; but the Disciples bare record that he gave them power to give the Holy Ghost. And I will show unto you hereafter that this record is true."
   Moroni interjects his testimony here and follows up with his second witness in the Book of Moroni as he explains the power of the Priesthood.
    Moroni 2:1 "The words of Christ, which he spake unto his disciples, the twelve whom he had chosen, as he laid his hands upon them -- And he called them by name, saying: Ye shall call on the Father in my name, in mighty prayer; and after ye have done this ye shall have power that to him upon whom ye shall lay your hands, ye shall give the Holy Ghost; and in my name shall ye give it, for thus do mine apostles."
   Since my testimony comes through the power of the Holy Ghost, I can see why this gift and power was so desired by the people at this time.
     3 Nephi 19:8 "And when they had ministered those same words which Jesus had spoken -- nothing varying from the words which Jesus had spoken -- behold, they knelt again and prayed to the Father in the name of Jesus. And they did pray for that which they most desired; and they desired that the Holy Ghost should be given unto them".
   It is through the Holy Ghost that we are drawn to the Savior and it is through the power of the Holy Ghost that we are justified and made able to be whole through atonement.
    3 Nephi 19:20 Father, I thank thee that thou hast given the Holy Ghost unto these whom I have chosen; and it is because of their belief in me that I have chosen them out of the world. Father, I pray thee that thou wilt give the Holy Ghost unto all them that shall believe in their words. Father, thou hast given them the Holy Ghost because they believe in me; and thou seest that they believe in me because thou hearest them, and they pray unto me; and they pray unto me because I am with them. And now Father, I pray unto thee for them, and also for all those who shall believe on their words, that they may believe in me, that I may be in them as thou, Father, art in me, that we may be one.
   After blessing and empowering them Christ then turns them to the future and gives them vision of what will happen to the family of Israel. His coming in the meridian of time was a fulfillment of the covenant he made with his Father, but in Jerusalem they had largely rejected him. Israel was not gathered as a family, as yet.
    3 Nephi 20:22 "And behold, this people will I establish in this land, unto the fulfilling of the covenant which I made with your father Jacob; and it shall be a New Jerusalem. And the powers of heaven shall be in the midst of this people; yea, even I will be in the midst of you."
    Looking to the future, Jesus promises that the Gentiles will bring forth the words of this people and that they will speak out of the dust like Isaiah prophecied. The Book of Mormon is a physical sign that the gathering has commenced and that the Second Coming is nigh.
   3 Nephi 21:11 "Therefore it shall come to pass that whosoever will not believe in my words, who am Jesus Christ, which the Father shall cause him to bring forth unto the Gentiles, and shall give unto him power that he shall bring them forth unto the Gentiles, (it shall be done even as Moses said) they shall be cut off from among my people who are of the covenant."
   We are the family of the Gentiles who are brought into the covenant of the House of Israel and it is essential that we believe in Jesus Christ and testify of him. He, like Moses, has brought us out of the world, delivered us from the sin we carry, redeemed us with his blood so that he can be our God and we can be restored to the family of our Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?