Monday, July 30, 2012

Book of Mormon Sunday II- Ether 8-15


   Moroni has introduced a circle here in chapter 12 of the Book of Ether. I think it starts with the enabling power of the atonement which gives mortal man an ability to desire a relationship with deity. If they choose to exercise faith in that deity then a doorway is opened which allows us to know Jesus Christ and by attaching ourselves to Him, through faith, a hope grows that we can be united with him and with our Heavenly Father. The circle goes around again when we then share our love of God with others who we feel charity for, and we extend to them an invitation to know God as well.



   Ether 12:8 "But because of the faith of men he has shown himself unto the world, and glorified the name of the Father, and prepared a way that thereby others might be partakers of the heavenly gift, that they might hope for those things which they have not seen."
   Before Jesus came to earth the law was the way. It was His law and it prepared man to embrace Him, but, His way opened the door to receiving a new heart, truly a more excellent way to renewal.
   Ether 12:11 "Wherefore, by faith was the law of Moses given. But in the gift of his Son hath God prepared a more excellent way; and it is by faith that it hath been fulfilled."
    Paul, a world away from Moroni, knew the more excellent way was through faith in Jesus Christ, hope in his atoning sacrifice, and charity as a way of being with others.
   1 Corinthians 12:31 "But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way."
    As "natural man", we don't have the inclination to be charitable, but, as "men in Christ" that enabling power of the atonement refines our nature and we begin to love as He loves.
   Ether 12:27 "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Behold, I will show unto the Gentiles their weakness, and I will show unto them that faith, hope and charity bringeth unto me -- the fountain of all righteousness."
   I think Moroni cared deeply that we, his readers, would be able to accept his message. We, the Gentiles in this case, would have to have charity to do the work of salvation. Our part in the House of Israel is to bring the Church of Jesus Christ into our families and into the lives of anyone we serve.
   Ether 12:36 "And it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord that he would give unto the Gentiles grace, that they might have charity. And it came to pass that the Lord said unto me: If they have not charity it mattereth not unto thee, thou hast been faithful; wherefore, thy garments shall be made clean. And because thou hast seen thy weakness thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father."
  In Moroni's view the future requires the enabling power of the atonement in the form of " grace" to ensure that the gospel will go forth. And we know that this power brought forth the restoration in 1830. Through Joseph Smith we can more completely walk the the "more excellent" way of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?