Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Morning Lines #16- A Cycle of Things

                 A Cycle of Things
                by ME

It's early
There are few cars on the road
Most are going north
I head off to the south.


I mount carefully
Adjusting my balance
The pedals catch the gears
At first
The way is downhill.


I zip my jacket up to my neck
The wind whirls at me
Making my eyes water
My fingers curl around the brakes
But I don't squeeze,
I breathe..

On level ground
I look
And see houses waking in the sun
Pushing their working occupants
Out the door
Rushing for a boat
Another morning.


Then the pedals resist and I 
Prepare to shift into
A lower gear
My hands clutch the handlebars
As I push and strain to keep moving
Just at the top, the front tire wobbles and weaves
As I fight to stay on.


Later, at night
Re-living the feelings in my head,
I cycle the downhill,
The straight and narrow,
The upside,
And remember that each time
I come back to level ground,
Again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?