Saturday, August 4, 2012

Morning Lines #19- Blueberries

  "She gingerly placed a berry in her mouth and felt the rush of surprise as it exploded against her cheeks. Standing there in the dense greenery, Sarah realized she had never before tasted a color, never experienced and enjoyed the elemental, unrefined, sun-water-earth-and-air created color of blue"
                                                                    Jim Minick



    The blueberry and blackberry seasons are beginning. Just like a squirrel I am hoarding some in my freezer for winter mornings of steel-cut oat breakfasts. Along with this foraging I am reading The Blueberry Years by Jim Minick. This is memoir of the time he and his wife bought, cultivated, planted, and developed a blueberry farm. He is an articulate and descriptive writer, much enjoyed as I eat some of my hoard.



1 comment:

  1. I made jam with our blueberries though I had to go buy some raspberries at the farmer's market. I've been giving jars away since making it a few weeks ago so this morning I went out and bought more and just finished making a nice batch of raspberry/blueberry jam! It sure feels good. That book sounds very interesting too.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?