Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Visiting Teachers

     This morning as I was searching online I glanced up from the screen and these beautiful flowers came into focus. They were from my Visiting Teachers and I am so glad they came to see me. Visiting Teaching is a program in my church for every woman, eighteen years and older. Two women come together to visit and lift my spirits. They come every month, or so, and I look forward to the time we spend. I am very selfish when they come because I have fun things to share with them. The discussion is usually about me, how I'm feeling, what I am doing, or what I might need. My two friends really want to know and I have learned to trust them. There is an art to being a Visiting Teacher and it starts with being open and interested in others. There is also an art to being the recipient of Visiting Teachers. It can be a vulnerable thing to have others in your home and "checking you out".  Really it is all about looking for the best in others and validating each other as women who care.


                                                                What is not to like about that?

2 comments:

  1. I was just talking with some students yesterday and they mentioned that one of the most important things to them is a person who listens to them...it is always nice to have someone care enough to just listen to what you have to say...about yourself. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, it is a fortunate thing to have people in our lives who care.

      Delete

What do you think?