Tuesday, October 30, 2012

While I Was Reading Sunday- Matthew 14 and John 6


If you had told me 10 years ago that I would have 16 grandchildren I would have said, "I might as well be able to walk on water".
And I do.



                                 "You Might As Well Ask Me To Walk On Water"
  This phrase is a quote from Michael Wilcox from his book "Walking On Water". It is an introduction to the story of Peter attempting to do just that. I have been reading and thinking about that incident.
  John 6: 17 "And it was now dark, and Jesus was not come to them. And the sea arose by reason of a great wind that blew."
   It had been an exhausting day for Jesus. He found out the news that John the Baptist was dead, his cousin and friend, beheaded by Herod, the Roman ruler. The scriptures say he had intended to take some time for himself but the crowds followed him and he could see their needs. The crowd was bigger it being the Passover week. As people gathered around him he questioned whether there was enough food available to feed the multitude. It would be customary to share a meal and celebrate the Passover in the evening. At this time he performed his miracle of enlarging the seven loaves of bread and two fishes to feed 5000 people. As the night came Jesus finally found some time to commune and recharge. But his apostles were on a ship in the middle of the Sea of Gallilee. A storm arose and they were anxious to have him with them safe and secure.
  Matthew 14:24 "But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary. And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear."
  The reaction of Peter is surprising to me. In wanting to know if this phantom was truly the Lord he asked if he could walk out on the water to him. Peter seems to have an " I can do all things" attitude.
  Matthew14:27 "But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid. And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. And he said, "Come". And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus."
   Can we really do all things in Jesus? I remember well being asked to teach religion to teenagers during 0 hour every week day. You might as well ask me to walk on water, I thought to myself. I teach 30 piano students, two music and movement classes once a week, all I do is prepare for the next class. I told them I would team teach but never accept the assignment alone. I started the first two years with another teacher and managed to survive. Then the request came to go it alone. By now I had learned to love these teenagers and I prayed to have faith and strength to do it. Six years later I am here every morning and it sometimes feels like walking on water. I testify that we can be magnified with faith in Jesus Christ.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?