Wednesday, March 27, 2013

About Hospitals and Such


  Yesterday I had a small surgery which I have put off a long time and which turned out to be a huge blessing. (The reason is in the previous post) The people at Overlake Hospital are amazing. Let me tell you about three of them.
   My nurse's assistant was a Philipino women with a lovely way about her. She said the kindest words, like "You are so healthy", "Your hair looks so healthy" and , "Your skin is so beautiful." These statements, unexpected, made me feel vital and strong as I prepared for the operating table. She added her advice for staying healthy. Drink fresh vegetable juice every day to get your 6-7 servings a day.
   Then there was John, my RN. Older and wiser than most, he gave me the humorous side of the experience. After going to the bathroom, again, I asked if this made me null and void. He laughed and made me feel as funny as he was. If my son, Jon, who is going back to school to be a RN ends up like this man, I will be so pleased. Here are some helpful hints for my son to prepare to be a nurse. Learn juggling, get great shoes, and work in a children's day care for a while. Little did John, my nurse, know that my son has five children and lives in a childcare facility.
  And lastly, Dr. Paley, who I wanted to see years ago and didn't because she broke her leg before my appointment. She is a gracious, reserved woman and I felt her determination to do things to the best of her ability when she patted my legs and started working. She is a giant in a 5'2 body.
  Thanks also to my Mark, who goes with me to face each demon and brought me my new book and iPad so I could listen to Part 2 of Oprah interviewing Brene Brown. 


When I think of life without him I get scared so I start recording all the reasons I am grateful for him. On to recovery and hopefully cancer free. That is my hope.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?