Monday, April 22, 2013

Philemon- An Entreaty To Allow At-One-Ment

Philemon was a friend whose slave had run away to join Paul. Onesimus, the slave, was converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ. Paul desired to unite slave and master on good terms, even as friends. His entreaty was to call upon Philemon's faith in all good things

Philemon 1:6 That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus.

 Paul loved this slave and saw him as a blessing, not a liability.

Philemon 1:10 I beseech thee for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my bonds: Which in time past was to thee unprofitable, but now profitable to thee and to me:

Aware that his position might make Philemon feel he must take back his servant, he announced that he did not want Philemon to feel coerced.

Philemon 1:14 But without thy mind would I do nothing; that thy benefit should not be as it were of necessity, but willingly.

I see Paul as taking the role of a type of Christ. The Savior would want us to be reconciled to any from whom we feel estranged. His atonement covers the sins of our brother, so in not forgiving we actually reject the Savior's sacrifice.

 Philemon1:15 For perhaps he therefore departed for a season, that thou shouldest receive him for ever; Not now as a servant, but above a servant, a brother beloved, specially to me, but how much more unto thee, both in the flesh, and in the Lord? If thou count me therefore a partner, receive him as myself. If he hath wronged thee, or oweth thee ought, put that on mine account;

   The letter to Philemon reminds me of Abigail. who also became a type of Christ to David in 1 Samuel. Her husband Nabal had greatly offended David and his men. By law David could seek revenge. But Abigail intercepted David and begged him to allow her to carry her husbands sin.

1 Samuel 25:23 And when Abigail saw David, she hasted, and lighted off the ass, and fell before David on her face, and bowed herself to the ground, And fell at his feet, and said, Upon me, my lord, upon me let this iniquity be: and let thine handmaid, I pray thee, speak in thine audience, and hear the words of thine handmaid.



                                                             Painting by Peter Paul Rubens

  She took the burden of guilt upon herself and asked David to forgive her, and she also brought gifts, provisions which he needed. How could David resist this gesture of love and sacrifice?

1 Samuel 25:28 I pray thee, forgive the trespass of thine handmaid: for the Lord will certainly make my lord a sure house; because my lord fighteth the battles of the Lord, and evil hath not been found in thee all thy days.

    Understanding Paul and Abigail helps me see Jesus Christ in their actions. How can I resist their message?

   


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?