Monday, May 6, 2013

39 Years And Counting

This weekend my husband and I celebrated 39 years of marriage. As my friend noted, "That is 39 years of cooking dinner for the same man." Personally, I like cooking and he likes my cooking so we are mutually benefited. We made a day trip up along Hood Canal, an inlet of water in the Puget Sound. The day was fantastic. You can see the Olympic mountains peeking over the wooded ridge.

   
It seemed the whole world was out on the water in boats, scuba diving, or picnicking in the state parks.


    The drive along the Hood canal was varied with beautiful homes along the shore, some marshland, and countless piers out into the water.


The sun was welcome and energizing.


   Dalby Creek, with it's Waterwheel, was a roadside attraction. You will never see moss so happy as the green, slimy, tendrils taking a ride on the wheel.


    It was built in 1929 and moved to it's present location in the last decade. Alongside the creek I spotted odd trees, growing in vertical segments. Fragile looking, they nevertheless reached for the sky.


  The water wheel was still producing electricity and I was given a lengthy explanation of it's workings.


    My eye was enticed by the shed next to the waterwheel. It had a short door which seemed very hobbittish.


   Our destination was Sequim, WA where we found the best barbecue place. They make some outstanding pulled meat and allow you to doctor it with a variety of homemade sauces.


    We sampled them all, finding the Faux Zark Sauce the winner. I was thrilled to take home a jar. Ironically, as we were driving I was reading Michael Pollan's new book Cooked, out loud. He was explaining his quest to understand authentic barbecue. It seemed like I could taste his experiences having just sampled the best sauces I have ever tried.

 
To top off the day we stopped at Carter's Chocolatiers, on the Kitsap Pennisula, for shakes and chocolates. I love my man, always enjoying talking and laughing together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?