Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Images From Revelations

Even though the Book of Revelations is not meant to be interpreted visually I find that exploring the images gives lasting insight.
For example, when you place the image of the dragon next to the woman and child you see the vulnerability of the Church of Jesus Christ with her offspring, Zion. Yet she is made strong by another diminutive image.


    What could be more vulnerable than a lamb? Yet, The Lamb of God has power to crush the head of the Dragon. While the dragon looks frightening, his power is over the world. The Lamb has power to change and hold the inner man and woman and that, is eternal power. No image, no words, and no experience is as powerful as our Heavenly Father and his Son, Jesus Christ. This I know to be true.


   I am sure the images of Babylon were decadent to the view of John and our Babylon is just as glitzy, with promises that can never be met and the lure of something for nothing.


   My students could see the counterfeit tactics of Satan as we visualized the "other woman".


    I shall not forget the contrast between the chains of hell and being encircled in the arms of everlasting love.

           I don't fully understand Revelations but each time I read it I come away with more appreciation for this marvelous vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?