Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Book of Mormon Summer

I just can't let those morning hours get swallowed up by the mundane. I am having a Book of Mormon Summer. 

   As My Early Morning Guests illustrated the Book of Revelations I saw how powerful doodling can be and I can't stop the desire to sketch as I read. My first realization was how smoothly we can go from the New Testament into the Book of Mormon. We leave with the vision of John and his consumption of a book given to him in heaven and we open with the vision of Lehi. An angel bids him to read a book. The message of the book is clear; a messiah will come and redeem the world.


   Amidst the visions of Lehi and Nephi we have the plot of leaving for the wilderness, Laman and Lemuel's dissatisfactions, and obtaining the precious plates. What action and adventure!


The vision of Nephi is so close to the vision of John and I marvel how Nephi, 600 years earlier, can lead us right along the pathway set up by John the Beloved and even mention him as a future writer who will tell the same story.
    1 Nephi 14:19 "And I looked and beheld a man, and he was dressed in a white robe. And the angel said unto me: Behold one of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. Behold, he shall see and write the remainder of these things; yea, and also many things which have been. And he shall also write concerning the end of the world. Wherefore, the things which he shall write are just and true; and behold they are written in the book which thou beheld proceeding out of the mouth of the Jew; and at the time they proceeded out of the mouth of the Jew, or, at the time the book proceeded out of the mouth of the Jew, the things which were written were plain and pure, and most precious and easy to the understanding of all men."



    I can't help picking up the recurring number 2. The duality theme is a thread winding through the whole Book of Mormon. I, jokingly, want to know if there isn't a third way, my way?

    Here are some more of my thoughts on this scripture block.
    Here are 8X5 versions of my illustrations to copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?