Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Vicarious Farming

   There are mini cultures in which I wish membership but, alas I am a fraud. One of those is the world of sustainable farming. This year I did not even try to plant. I can't say I have ever been really successful at planting a garden but being a vicarious gardener is the best ever. My CSA subscription caught my fancy and I love receiving the bag or box every Thursday.


    I invited "my farmers" over for dinner to thank them for their hard work and diligence. We ate vegetables from their garden and lamb from a local dairy. I quizzed them about their passion for the soil and their answers did not disappoint. They farm because they love the connection to the earth. It makes them happy to labor on the land.


       Having worked on sustainable farms as interns, this year was the first go on their own. Their main concern was finding the right irrigation system and finding balance of just enough water. I feel genuinely grateful that young farmers care to learn and work so hard.

1 comment:

  1. what a thoughtful thing to do having them over. I only recently listened to a radio interview about CSA. What a grand thing that there are people interested in becoming involved in the program and that it seems to be so widespread!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?