Monday, May 12, 2014

Superpower and Kryptonite

   The work I'm doing in my online class is very fun and meaningful. Brené Brown is so good at illuminating wholehearted living. Guidepost nine lead me through the issues of coming to understand my own gifts and using them in meaningful work. After some questioning of myself and thinking way back, I came to the conclusion that my desire to communicate is a gift.


    I grew up in a home with two cultures and two languages. Often I wanted deeper communication with my parents but I lacked the German and they lacked the English language skills. My sister-in-law, Diane, came into my life just as I hit my teen years. She was my bridge between two cultures and my guide through the maze of finding out how to put words to feelings.
 

              In the online class, the step after identifying our superpower was to also identity our Kryptonite.

 
    What diminishes the very strength I have? Sometimes it is using it too much, not using my ability at the right time, or equivocating thought with action.


     I can't tell you how long it took me to say that I was good at my job as a piano teacher. Self-doubt seemed safer in case my inadequacies were revealed. But, golly Moses, I love teaching kids about music and twenty five years later I still maintain a full studio of students.
 



As I sit here this morning kids asleep, in my son's home at 5:30 am, while he is with his wife in surgery to mend a broken leg, I pinch myself with gratitude for all that is right in my world. I have a few gifts which feed my soul and I can use them for good every day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?