Friday, October 24, 2014

Dare

     I'm going to DARE to toot my own horn today. It's my birthday and birthdays mean something to me. I don't want to ignore them or forget them or to discount them, especially my own.
    As the youngest child, born to older parents I was told that I made my family happy by showing up at the end. I was not an after thought but a not even, ever, thought. A girl at the end of three boys set me up for being the center of attention. I was there, the center of attention, since birth and I believe I really liked it until I stopped being my own friend. That happened during adolescence.


     Friends are honest but loving, hopeful about our future yet truthful about our past, and loyal without being blind. I want to regain the friendship with myself so last year I started doing the work to deserve myself as a friend. I did good this year. I was daring in ways that make me smile. I am hopeful and not in need of being the center of attention but mindful of how grateful I am for the attention I get for being me.
 
 I am a daughter of God and with that heritage I know what true friends are like. Jesus Christ is my best friend and on him I bestow what I know about friendship up until now. I hope to know more in time.


I write on Fridays with a large group who inspire me. Only five minutes and without much thought to perfection. I write, prompted by one word that sends my thoughts to the keyboard and hopefully make sense.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I've come over from FMF. What a great post. And Happy Birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Gabriel! Beautiful post. Wishing a year of very special wholehearted moments. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your post [Happy Birthday!]...loved how you described how you stopped being your own friend. I think that happens to a lot of us, even unconsciously. We'd never think of treating other people, even people who aren't our immediate friends, in the way we often treat ourselves. Self love is so important. I've also been down my own path of self love recently and have realised that it was a huge part of my life that was missing: one can't, after all, provide for others to full capacity, if you're running on empty yourself....

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?