Friday, February 27, 2015

Visit

   In my church we invite members to visit each other. if you feel like you can commit to a monthly visit the visit become an assignment. An assignment sometimes becomes a to-do on a list and time becomes a critical factor. How does an invitation become a burden?

                    

    Time constraints are made in the mind. There is a way to bend time. Becoming an observer or an explorer can make time pass a little more slowly.


    While visiting this week I looked for signs of spring. A plum tree in emerging blossom caught my eye. I noticed the orange stamen decorating the white petals. What simple but classic design!


    I stopped to admire the display on a friend's table. We talked briefly about how this arrangement made her feel every day as she entered the room. Her artist's hands collected objects together to delight the eye.


   I do like to talk but I notice when I talk less and listen, time moves more  slowly. My conversations refreshed my time parched soul. My visits became a covert from the storm of obligations. This invitation was a burden no more.



I write on Fridays with a large group who inspire me. Only five minutes and without much thought to perfection. I write, prompted by one word that sends my thoughts to the keyboard and hopefully make sense.

3 comments:

  1. So well said. "How does an invitation become a burden?" I like that. Often I feel as though I don't want to spend time with others (depression leads to a wish for isolation), but I press myself to do it. Afterward I'm ALWAYS glad that I did. I like your ideas about observing and listening. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, good thoughts here. Community should not be a religious obligation. It's hard though because sometimes as people we will not step out of our comfort zone until pushed, and so many people are so afraid of judgement to step out and connect with new people. Like all goods things in this life, our hearts need to be aware of a need and a change so God's Spirit can start to direct us.
    Cheers,
    Leah
    PS
    I loved the mixed media art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Gabriele, why do visits we commit to sometimes feel like a chore? I love your photos in this post. Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?