Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Steal Like An Artist

     Yohji Yamamoto, an award winning and influential Japanese fashion designer once said, "Start copying what you love. Copy copy copy copy. At the end of the copy you will find yourself." Here are some artists I'm copying because I love their work.
    Jacqui Lown  fires up my imagination. There are elements to her painting which draw me to a magic place. Between the worlds is such a painting. Here is my version in watercolor and paper.


   I snapped a picture of her postcard behind my watercolor. My colors are different  but the secret place under the earth, where new life is sprouting, is just as inviting in my copy.


       Jay Bryant Ward paints wonderful faces and scenes with Jesus Christ. They are luminous. I used another postcard version to embed in a mixed media painting. I am lifted up seeing that every day.


       In an Art Journaling magazine I found the work of Caltrin Wetz-Stein. She is so unique and different. I cut out all her illustrations. One small copy appears in my mixed media a painting below. I tried to keep her style both with color and style. My husband asked to keep this one. He has it by his desk.

  
      Currently I'm taking watercolor classes from Gina Lee Kim. We do a project together following her instructions. I copy but then feel compelled to do something of my own. Copying is a springboard to my creativity.


     I would never sell anything with an image someone else created unless I had permission. but for my own pleasure, I copy.
     " It is better to take what does not belong to you than let it lie around neglected."
                  Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?