Friday, March 18, 2016

Surprise


If we continually try to control uncertainty there will be no space for surprise

I don't particularity like surprises. Negative possibilities loom ever more real than positive occurrences. Sad, but true. So, how does one create space for surprise? 

Look for it!



 The picture above is an i-phone shot of my neighborhood. I drive east to the water several times a week to be surprised. The light at sunrise is never the same. 

My four year old granddaughter doesn't always like it when I come to visit on Thursdays. I take time away from her special time with Mommy. Sometimes Mommy leaves and I stay, against her will. But yesterday she, unprompted, announced that I could come everyday. Surprise!

My meditation practice is working. I feel calmer. Surprise!

I received a package from Flow Magazine and when I opened it I found German Children's books with a sweet note to a grandmother in the states. The magazine sales representative had no clue how this mix-up happened. They wonder if my package was damaged and ended up in a German postal service department where other damaged packages were repacked. Now Flow Magazine, based in the Netherlands, is resending my order, but how will the grandmother ever get her books?
Surprise?

"But he loves me still, he loves me through, even while, even when, 
He loves me anyway, in spit of , and more than 
When I
 slip and I fall, when I'm weak, even when I should hold on, 
He loves me still, he loves me still, and something tells me he always will."

Surprise! Always!


  I write on Fridays with a large group who inspire me. Only five minutes and without much thought to perfection. I write, prompted by one word that sends my thoughts to the keyboard and hopefully make sense.







10 comments:

  1. Love THIS: "If we continually try to control uncertainty there will be no space for surprise!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara. I believe it. Heading over to your post to see what you are surprised at.

      Delete
  2. I love this! Every word of it...your FMF neighbor #56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabrina,
      How nice to meet you! And thank-you for loving every word, wow!

      Delete
  3. Great way to look at uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great perspective! I think I'm constantly trying to control uncertainty, to eliminate it from my days. That tends to not go well for me. ;-) Thanks for sharing your heart. I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heidi, it is nice to meet you. What A surprise! Ha! Ha!

      Delete
  5. That is a great perspective on uncertainty. And I agree, it's important to look out for the little surprises. The photo is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your praise of the photo. i was so surprised at the colors when I looked at my phone.

      Delete

What do you think?