Friday, September 30, 2016

Collect

    Every Family Has A Collector of Family Stories


    Twenty years ago when my mother and aunt were still alive, I started collecting and telling family stories. At that time I was considered too young to be the family story teller simply because there were older relatives, but now I am the last generation. My deceased aunt influenced my desire because she used stories to teach me my religious and ethnic history. She recited them to me even when she knew I wasn't listening. 



  That brings me to my current project. After almost thirty years of living on an island I feel the desire to collect and write the stories of my life on a rock. These years encompassed raising five children, becoming a business owner, a decade of home-schooling, defining and redefining what I could do and what I needed to leave behind. All the while I was encompassed by water, sailing to the mainland weekly to get supplies of whatever I thought I couldn't get at home.
  Join me, please, as tomorrow I set my course to write 31 Days In October- Stories Of Island Living.

   
Click here to go to the home page where all my stories are listed.


 I have been writing with the Five Minute Friday Group for two years and I really enjoy the talented writers who share their work. Would you like to join? 



8 comments:

  1. I'm a collector nativity scenes myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gonna be a GREAT series.

    BTW, Bert Stiles' classic memoir of flying in WW2 had a chapter called "Portrait of a Guy Thinking About an Island".

    He wanted so badly to survive and come home to live on an island in his beloved upstate New York; alas, he was killed in combat, atthe age of 23.

    #1 at FMF this week.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2016/09/your-dying-spouse-213-lethal-lessons-fmf.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting Andrew. I'll look that one up.

      Delete
  3. Retaining and sharing family stories is so important. Otherwise, they're lost forever. Blessings for your 31-day journey. Visiting from FMF#41

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a wonderful series. I look forward to reading. I am going to pin your button. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this. Sounds like such a fascinating 31 Days project. I love what you said about storytelling -- about telling the stories even when it seems no one is listening. That is good encouragement to me as I parent my three girls. The collecting and sharing of stories is so important in instructing, encouraging and leaving a legacy. Bless you!
    -Ashley Larkin (your FMF neighbor)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?