Friday, September 2, 2016

Eight Minute Memoir- Birthdays

    Can you celebrate birthdays even after death?

    I have been thinking of my mother a great deal. It is one hundred and six years since she was born. A bracelet I inherited from her has been encircling my arm everyday. From the warmth of my arm and fingers smoothing over the engraved filigree the bracelet is more and more shiny. When your parents are dead their birthdays still stay etched in time. I like to think that they count the years since they came to earth up in heaven, still. 




   My cousin shared a sweet story about my mother with me this week. She met up with her at the 1953 Spring General Conference in Düsseldorf, Germany. My cousin Ruth showed my mother her brand new daughter, born just weeks before. Ruth was in her early twenties and this was her second child. My mother, her aunt, was forty-three and that day she confided in her niece that she was also pregnant. After twelve years, and three boys, she was going to have another baby in October. That was me. I like to think I was a really terrific surprise. 





  I am joining Ann Dee Ellis and other writers in using a prompt                        to record some memoir moments.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you recorded this sweet memory shared. I always choose to commemorate my parents on their birthdays, rather than their death days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you recorded this sweet memory shared. I always choose to commemorate my parents on their birthdays, rather than their death days.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?