Friday, September 9, 2016

Heal

"Restoring what you cannot restore, healing the wound you cannot heal. fixing that which you broke and cannot fix is the very purpose of the atonement of Christ..."
                                         Elder Boyd K Packer

    My knives were exceptionally sharp. I was cutting carrots for soup. The tip pierced the skin on my finger. I ignored it until I was doing the dishes in hot water. A sharp throbbing pain brought my hand out of the water to investigate. It was the size of a mustard seed but the skin was gone and it was too sensitive to ignore. For three days I was reminded of the wound. Then on the forth I rubbed gently alongside my finger. A ridge of new skin was tender but now closed. The healing power of the body is simply amazing.
        



   But, some wounds just don't heal. The pain washes over us again and again. We can't let it go and so we bandage. Bandaging protects our hearts from repeating the same mistake but it cannot heal. So, how is it done? How does Christ take our pain? I wish I had the words. His balm spreads relief in every crevasse. The air in his presence allows us to inhale faith. Wth the breath of faith we can exhale hope. He offers us space to abide with him in charity, which is His love and his domain. 
  He holds the scars of his sacrifice but they pain him no longer. They exist to show the length, and breath, and vastness of his love.


                                                     

   I have been writing with the Five Minute Friday Group for two years and I really enjoy the talented writers who share their work. Would you like to join? 

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it kind of funny how a little cut or something can mind us of the power of healing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a lovely little post. We've ALL had the annoyance of a painful cut on our finger that just doesn't go away. And then one day, it's just better. God is so like that when He heals us!
    THIS: "The air in his presence allows us to inhale faith. Wth the breath of faith we can exhale hope." Beautiful!
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Shauna (your neighbour down the street at FMF#55)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you describe the healing Jesus gives- and that his scars remain as a reminder of the vastness of his love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "He offers us space to abide with him..." Such a beautiful reminder to "just" *be* with him, in order to then be healed by him. Visiting from FMF#69
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?