Friday, January 20, 2017

Refine

I hope to refine music, study it, try to find some area that I can unlock. I don't quite know how to explain it but it's there. These can't be the only notes in the world, there's got to be other notes some place, in some dimension, between the cracks on the piano keys. 

Marvin Gaye



    It is still early here. Daylight is forming but I sit in the dark in front of my computer. I'm grappling with the word refine. To take something "fine" and try to make it finer, is daunting. It really is like looking for something new between the cracks on the piano keys. 
   If I didn't have some artistic endeavors I would settle for "fine" in my life. But, no matter my ability, I know I must search for a more refined outcome. It is frightening to me to look for that nuance that takes a piece to a higher level. All I seem to have towards that goal is grit. Start over, white out the canvas, go back to the beginning, these are not pleasant tasks. Yet, sometimes they birth something outside of myself, something better than I imagined. Surely there is heaven involved in this process. 







 I have been writing with the Five Minute Friday Group for more than two years and I really enjoy the talented writers 

5 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful! I love your take on the word "refine" here. Thanks for these refreshing, inspiring thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your thoughts here- I like the image of looking for something new between the cracks on the piano keys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marvin Gaye really hit the nail on the head.

      Delete
  3. I feel this way about fiction and also art. I recall reading about a sculptor who (in better words than mine) believed when he was sculpting he was freeing shapes that already existed.

    Also, you are brave.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?