Friday, February 24, 2017

Slow

"Slow me down, 
don't let love just pass me by,"
Emmy Rossum


The tempo for Solfeggietto is allegro vivace. At that speed the notes cascade down the keyboard like a waterfall. To learn the notes I slow it down. C.P.E. Bach moves through the triads of C minor, G minor, and F minor disconnecting and dancing with the notes in what seem to be simple exercises. The listener who hears the composition at full tempo may never know the intricacies of his patterns.


Fast or slow, there is much to learn from the tempo of our life. When adversity washes over us, we want life to speed up, to get through the difficulty. When sweet joy comes to visit we want to freeze the frame and savor longer. 



                   

  I enjoy slowing down parts of my life which are naturally fast paced. In those moments I can meet the eye, give a lingering touch, and pause from unnecessary words. Tempo is not good or bad. 

The tempo of our life allows us to highlight the focus. 


 I have been writing with the Five Minute Friday Group for more than two years and I really enjoy the talented writers 



9 comments:

  1. Love your musical analogy! Right now a friend and I are working on a Mozart Sonata for 4 hands. The "real" tempo is FAST, but we are not there yet! We are enjoying the slowness of the process of learning the intricacies of the scales, chords, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I enjoyed this so much. Loved how you used music as an analogy and can't believe I didn't think of that. Yes, tempo is neither good or bad. This is rich with beautiful truth Gabriel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much Debby. We all find new ways to look at the same word prompt.

      Delete
  3. This is a tempo I can strongly relate to right now and wish I didn't: "When adversity washes over us, we want life to speed up, to get through the difficulty", because challenges seem endless sometimes and we desperately long to move forward again. Your post is fresh, lively and original in its analogy and perspective. It's got an upbeat tempo despite considering life being slow. Blessed to be your neighbour for the #FMF link up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the music link- so true that the tempo of a piece can really change how we hear it, and that's true in life too. There is a time to move fast, but we also need time to slow down and reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This: "When adversity washes over us, we want life to speed up, to get through the difficulty. When sweet joy comes to visit we want to freeze the frame and savor longer. " Yes, indeed.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?