Friday, April 21, 2017

Sing

Some experiences in life bring us to sing in praise.

While visited my brother in Utah last week I made a trip to the Thanksgiving Point Ashton Gardens. Quite to my surprise I found a new installation which, honestly, is a miracle. The miracle is not that I found it, but that it exists. A sculpture garden entitled "The Light of the World" was installed in the Fall of 2016. 


John 4:4-42
 Amongst the most beautiful natural settings, the life of Christ sits in bronze. There are 35 statues in 15 different settings, all larger than life. 


Luke 7:36-50
 I saw it's profound effect on little children. The sculptor, Angela Johnson, almost always placed Jesus on eye level or lower with those he ministered. Children found his lap irresistible.


Matthew 8:1-4
The detail in the faces and clothes was amazing. I could feel the movement of each statue. As he touched the blind man with his hands it was as if he touched me, too. 

John 12:1-34
 Great boulders were brought in to create backdrops for the bronze statues. The tomb of Lazurus was especially dramatic. He lay at the bottom looking up through the archway at his sisters and Jesus. This event fore-shadowed his own rising from the tomb.

Mark 14
While looking at him dragging the cross, a little girl sang. She was praising with words she learned at church. Tears rolled down my cheeks.

John 20:11-34
When Mary found her Lord resurrected, hovering above the ground, I sang, too. He is risen!
   The artist, Angela Johnson, made these bronze statues in six years, having only started this art form a decade earlier. I felt the closeness she had to divine help. This garden truly is a miracle.





 I have been writing with the Five Minute Friday Group for more than two years and I really enjoy the talented writers who share themselves each week.


3 comments:

  1. Those statues are amazing and bring the stories of Jesus to life so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your recommendation. I look forward to visiting this garden myself. That shot of the little girl is so touching.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?