Friday, September 22, 2017

Accept

Accepting the less than organized, planned life might illuminate the better way.

Yesterday I heard some clicking inside the engine of my older car while waiting in a ferry line. My first thought was that something had come loose and I was in for a disaster. I felt a rush of dread and in that moment decided to pull put of line and head home. 



  In the moments of turning toward home I reviewed and simplified my thought pattern. What was I missing by letting these negative thoughts about a vehicle, of which I knew  very little, influence my plan for the day. I needed to accept that this car was not always going to run perfectly but not abandon my trust in myself, really, that I could handle the circumstances even if I had a break down with the car. I wanted to control my situation so carefully so that I would never have to deal with discomfort. Just as I was simplifying my thoughts the clicking stopped. Okay! I went back to the ferry and continued on with a beautiful day. Lesson learned until it happens again.





 I have been writing with the Five Minute Friday group for more than three years and I really enjoy the talented writers who share themselves each week.   

15 comments:

  1. Continuing on with our beautiful day is just what the doc ordered. I love your heart and this post. I'm your neighbor at #FMF. Also, I love that journal collage page. You do great work, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the rest of your day! Accepting your car's limitations may lead you to have to address them at some point, but at least you'll do it our of intention rather than fear. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really needed to put things in proper perspective.

      Delete
  3. I struggle with this kind of thing all the time - reframing things so that I can cope with the situation the next time. It's so easy to feel defeated. I'm feeling pretty defeated today, so this is really helpful. Thanks! I'm tanya, and I blog at Thorns and Gold on finding God in hard places, the Bible and the messy edges of life. http://tanyamarlow.com Great to make your acquaintance via FMF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your day goes better. I will come and find you to say hi.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad your car was okay and that you were able to carry on with your day. I can definitely try to control my circumstances too much at times. Taking a moment to reframe things is helpful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The car was fine and I am so glad that this time, I listened better.

      Delete
  5. Cars are great when they work. But they always seem to stop working at the most inopprtune times. I'm over in the 6 spot this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a normal reaction to me. But I'm glad you gave it closer thought and not let it deter you. Brave won, Gabriele!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh girl! Car problems are the pits! We've got a new to us older Subaru. I've put about 3000 miles on it and it's a great little car, but I question every noise I hear. I so relate.
    In the #8 spot this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had a '58 Ford truck with a bad head gasket, so I drove the thing with one eye on the temperature gauge...and ANY traffic back-up would send me into a frenzied search for an alternate route.

    #1 at FMF this week.

    https://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2017/09/your-dying-spouse-365-i-live-impossible.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the quote and your beautiful collage! I guess I'm a "lurker", I always enjoy your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the term "awfulizing." I'm very bad about jumping to the worst conclusion. I'm glad it all turned out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Negative thoughts have been influencing my day all day today...thanks for the reminder to stop! I need to refocus. Good post for me today!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?