Friday, November 17, 2017

Excuse

Pride invites you to excuse yourself from doing the right thing.

While reading the scriptures this morning I came upon some passages explaining why a truly blessed people fell into contention and strife. Their lack of unity split them into factions and classes.


Pride invites you to set yourself apart. It allows you to excuse your actions. The story that pride promotes is that you are entitled to feel better than your neighbor. Pride creates false intimacy with others as it invites them into your story. I know about pride. It blinds. A clue that pride is rising up comes when I can't truly see others, when my story is running in my head  24/7. 
   I need to excuse myself from writing so passionately. The scriptures pricked my conscience.



                                      





 I have been writing with the Five Minute Friday group for more than three years and I really enjoy the talented writers who share themselves each week. 

5 comments:

  1. So true- pride can really blind us and lead to us making excuses to justify ourselves without even realising it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Sobering and so in need of lifting beyond that way of thinking.

      Delete
  2. "Pride invites you to excuse yourself from doing the right thing." Oh my. YES!! Pride is such a sticky, sly thing. It is absolutely pride that prevents me from taking responsibility. It's what makes me pretend that I have it all together and couldn't possibly be the one at fault. Lord, take away my pride!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?