Friday, November 24, 2017

Familiar


People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar. 
Thich Nhat Hanh


I walked by a tree recently and looked up to see the barren branches. A familiar lonely feeling weaseled into my chest. 
Feeling lonely in the winter comes as if scheduled on my to do list. This is what rises in winter. 




But, these two leaves caught my eye and I saw the message clearly.
Holding on is sometimes a sacred battle. Holding on to hope and joy, and love can seem naive as familiar despair creeps in. Just because it's familiar doesn't mean it is real.




                                    





I have been writing with the Five Minute Friday group for more than three years and I really enjoy the talented writers who share themselves each week.



6 comments:

  1. I know what you mean... not exactly, but winter brings with it lonely thoughts and a general blue feeling. Thank you for your sacred reminder to abide - hold on and even when I can't He's holding onto me.
    FMF #15 neighbor! Bless you friend with more than just holding on... peace in knowing you are held!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to meet you Lisa. Thank-you for your kind words.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful picture, Gabriele, and a great reminder to hold on to what is real. Praying that however you feel in this season, you know you are not alone, and that God is holding on to you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you. Your prayers are welcome and this feeling passes because down deep I am an optimist.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful fall photo. I'm your neighbor this week at FMF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Just because it's familiar doesn't mean it's real." WOW.

    And I love the Thich Nhat Hanh quote; he's long been one of my favourites.

    #1 at FMF this week.

    https://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2017/11/your-dying-spouse-409-necessity-fmf.html

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?