Friday, February 23, 2018

Beauty

Does understanding beauty take an educated eye or an educated heart?

Judith closed the lid of the Steinway piano. The light coming through the window was off-center. Her practice was suffering due to the disturbance of harmony in her room. She readjusted the vase of roses. She would have to wait a few minutes until the light shifted before she could continue playing.

Judith is a character in a book I am writing. Living in beauty is an obsession. Creating her gave me an opportunity to explore beauty under the umbrella of 'perfection'. Does something have to be perfect for us to find beauty within it? Can it be flawed and still be beautiful? Can there be perfection and we don't see the beauty?



Isaiah 53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

As the spirit of the Lord touches and educates our heart, He becomes more attractive. His beauty lies in his constancy, in his tenderness, in his submission to justice, in his focus, in his mental strength, in his open heart, in his mercy. I could go on but I have a time limit. He is beautiful to me not because he is perfect but because he sees beauty in my imperfection. I know, it shouldn't always be about me.

Praise be to Him.

***********************************************

And, I thank-you for reading my mystery novel, Rubato. Judith, a piano teacher extraordinaire, makes a decision which, upon reflection, changes the lives of others, not for the better.







2 comments:

  1. This is so good, Gabrielle -He is beautiful to me not because he is perfect but because he sees beauty in my imperfection. Yes! Love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! I love that as we get to know God more we appreciate his beauty more, and it's encouraging that he sees beauty in us too, even in our imperfection.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?