Monday, March 5, 2018

Umkehr or Return to Writing Everyday

       Write, Delete, Write, Edit, Write Everyday


    In November when I had the audacity to try to write a mystery novel, I wrote everyday because I was trying to do it in by November 30th. It took until January 2018. Then I passed it around to people I love and they said it was worth publishing. I started a writing class in February and passed it around there. They said publish it, but edit, edit, edit. 








It is lucky my 2018 word is Umkehr. A German word meaning to come back, return, and repent.
I am not repenting of writing the book but I am returning to the text over and over again. I am so appreciative of the writers I love because I now fully understand the work they do. 


   One thing I've learned from the editing process is that changing a sentence can open another pathway, unforeseen before. Sometimes I feel so stuck and then I think of a piece of dialog which shows me another idea and off I go, again.


UMKEHR

****************************************************
And, I thank-you for reading my mystery novel, Rubato. Judith, a piano teacher extraordinaire, makes a decision which, upon reflection, changes the lives of others and ends her own life. Detectives Stevie Dangerfield and Reggie Watts investigate her death and find musical intrigue that started in Eastern Europe.






No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?