Friday, March 18, 2011

The Rhythm of My Day 8

There is nothing like live acoustic music to add enrichment to a children's music class. We are lucky that Kim plays the violin and accompanies us during play along and circle dancing. I always notice the child who lights up when the instruments come out. Some can not help themselves from touching and making the sounds themselves. Recorded music has come a long way but cannot be substituted for the human singing voice and real instruments.
 I noticed C. singing  Howidoo with  us. Somewhere in the 2nd to 3rd year the child, who I believe has been singing along in her head, starts singing aloud. What a joy that is for me!
This week I brought in my xylophone. It is so child friendly because beautiful sounds appear just with the striking of the mallet, and what child does not want to hit the keys with the mallet?
It does make it hard to go home at the end of class, though. Our classes this winter are almost over. One more week. This class has been extra-special for me because I blogged about each class. This gave me rich rewards in considering and renewing my commitment to teaching music and movement to this age group.
Shake it up with us another semester this spring. And feel free to leave comments about what you liked best below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?