Tuesday, October 25, 2022

My Walk With Cancer

“Do not partner with fear to help you make decisions.” —Jeannette Gregory

I can't talk about flashes of light without taking about my years in cancer treatment.

Two really big insights, bright as sunlight, came to me during these months.

1) Replace fear with curiosity.

2) Look into the faces of everyone you encounter. 


 Cancer is a six letter word that strikes fear into many hearts. Some of that fear is justified and some is based on a myth that life should always be happy. When cancer makes an appearance we feel betrayed. Why is this happening to me? As my granddaughter reminds me, why shouldn't it happen to you? Are you so special that all adversity should pass you by? What important lessons would you deny yourself if you could zap those malignant cells without consequence?

Here are my thoughts about this journey.

I can promise you that these posts will not be written to strike fear into your heart. I have been mainly positive on this journey. Join me if you are curious or if you have been there too.

I am a Christian and this faith walks with me everyday. Maybe you don't belong to a denomination or maybe your belief in God is more like a great energy force. My intent is not to convince you that my faith is more true than yours. My intent is to tell my story with as much truth as possible. 



So let's put aside fear and look cancer in the eyes.

The first time I was brave enough to look at a cancer patient with curiosity and openness I saw a beauty that took my breath away. There
 is beauty in vulnerability. 


I don’t think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains. — Anne Frank 

 


Click here too go back to 31 Days In October 

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, I so appreciate your transparency. Your pictures and comments Facebook connect those who may not be near physically but feel another closeness distance cannot touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to it. Thx. Hugs and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gabriele,
    I think of you every day! I hope we can have a walk or conversation soon. Know that you are always in my heart!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?