My Name Is Marta

        Compiled Writings by Marta Emma Kaete Betterman Titze

     Marta Emma Kaethe Bettermann was born January 27, 1910. This life story was written by Marta with commentary by her daughter, Gabriele, in lighter gray print.

   My mother, Marta, is an extraordinary woman. When I think of adjectives to describe her life I think of faithful, hopeful, and courageous. In her early years in America she answered the call to record her family history. In her book of remembrance there are pages and pages of pedigree charts and family group sheets. In the back of her book are pages of her personal history, written in english, not her native tongue. As I read through this record I remember how hard she worked at improving her english and I am amazed how well she expresses herself.

   My parents both born in Silesia, moved to Bavaria after their marriage. When I was eight years old my family moved back to Silesia. It was after World War I. I have two sisters and one brother. We all went to school in Rabishau where my father was born. My childhood was a very happy time. We didn't have the luxury we have today and in our vacation time from school we were very busy. We were gathering wild berries, mushrooms, potatoes, grains and wood. After finishing my school, I liked to learn a lot more things a young teenager should know. Sewing was very easy for me to learn, housekeeping and cooking as well. Later I had the opportunity to decorate women's hats and to create lamp shades.

Marta is a wonderful homemaker with tremendous organizational skill and the energy to finsh what she starts. She earned extra money with her professional sewing and I was especially blessed to have had a seamstress who could sew anything and who had a great sense of style. I remember our fall shopping trips to make new clothes for school. We would go to into the fabric stores and pick out patterns and material  and within a few short weeks those clothes would be hanging in my closet.

My mother was a very respectable woman and a good friend who was able to sing and laugh with us. My father taught us to love nature and went with us hiking.

In 1931 we moved to Hirchberg because my father changed his workplace. There I met my future husband. We were two years together before we became married. In this time we enjoyed our life very much. 

We went dancing, swimming, skiing, ice skating, bike riding and more. On the 15th of April 1933 we became married in the evangelic church. Two years later I delivered my first son. Five years later, my second and one and a half years later my third son. Both were born during World War II. In this time I was very much alone with my three children because my husband was drafted and later in Russia. There he became wounded and landed in a hospital. His knee was shot and when he got released he came home with a stiff knee and walked with a stick. But there was no more need for him to go back to war. Now I wasn't scared so much any more because we were together again. And for this I was very thankful to my Father in Heaven. I must say I wasn't raised without religion because my mother taught us how to pray and we went to church, too.

Now my husband got an easy job to do in the city department. But the time of suffering just started. At the end of the war when the Russian soldiers came to our land, for us the security was gone. We didn't have any right to live. There was no more food enough so my husband had to go out to the country to find something for food, but he was always in danger. My boys could not go outside anymore. There was no school for my first son. We lived a while like prisoners and when the Russian government send the Polish police to our land nothing became better, because they started to throw out the families out of their homes and put some Poland people in. Fourteen days before all the people of Silesia were driven out we went under hard circumstances on our trip to West Germany.

 We came to Altenmühle, Werdohl, where we five people got two little rooms to live in. So for the next while we lived an uncomfortable life. In that time, a missionary from Essen came visiting us. My sister Johanna was baptized already in Silesia on the 8th of September 1927, so the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was not really strange to us. This missionary Brother Noujox brought us with a LDS family together who lived in Lüdenscheid. I forgot something to say. Before this happened my husband was able to find a place to build a home for us. In tis we had more room and could live more comfortably. So it could happen to meet this LDS family. The two sons were in the same age like our sons. We all enjoyed this time very much sometimes with missionaries and branch presidents. In June 1952, two of my sons and myself became baptized in Wuppertal, in an inside swimming pool. My husband and our oldest son watching the ceremony.

I am so grateful for the faith my mother had in the gospel of Jesus Christ. She has been a spiritual example in my life. As her mother taught her to pray, so she also taught me to pray. 

In October 1953 we were blessed with a new baby after 12 years. It was a girl and we gave her the name Gabriele Johanna. My husband wouldn't believe it when the midwife said it was a girl. She was very beautiful and we loved her all very much. Before our daughter was born we decided to go to Salt Lake City in Utah, USA. My sister Johanna, who already immigrated to Murray gave us a man who would stand for us. It means a bail. But through my pregnancy and the birth of our daughter we had to wait two years longer for our visas.When Gabriele was more than a year old she got chicken pox. We took good care of her and when she was a year and seven months we started our trip to America. 

We had money for the ship SS America and the money for the trip to New York and on to Utah.
We were all seasick after the third day on the ship and couldn't eat anything. Gabriele did not feel bad. She went up and down the stairs. Our coming to New York was very impressive because of the Statue of Liberty and the skyscrapers. But, the place where we had to wait in New York for the Greyhound Bus was not too clean and we were disappointed. the trip with bus to Salt Lake City took us three days and nights. It was terrible. My sister Hanna and Albert were on the bus station to bring us to her home in Murray. It was wonderful to see my mother again who lived with my sister. It was the 14th of June when we arrived in Salt lake City.

           Now the weather was different here because more heat in summer so we had to acclimatize. My husband and my oldest son have find a job after the third day. Three months we lived in my sister's house. 

Then we had a down payment for a home at 7th south in Salt Lake. The price was 12,500 and down payment 2,500. The men needed a car to go to work so we were lucky to get a five year old Plymouth in good condition. We were proud of that nice car. In town we belonged to the Liberty Second Ward. My sons Peter and Ingo had the opportunity to grow in the church as Deacons, Teachers, Priests and Elders. They were always in the ward and I was proud of them. Gabriele was two years old now and a very pretty girl. I went to church with her. During the week we went a lot to Liberty Park to see the ducks. We enjoyed the new area and the fresh air. Gaby was in a little stroller we brought from Germany. We kept the house in order and I took care of the yard. When Gabriele was four years old I had to bring her to Junior Sunday School and Primary. It was hard for her to stay in class without me. After years the boys graduated from High School and went to college. They worked in the summertime and bought their own clothes and paid for school.  

Now I forget to say something. My sister Johanna immigrated first to here. Then was my mother's turn and then my sister Elizabeth came. Then the last were the Titze family. So my mother went went to Elizabeth's house for a visit and sometimes to our home. We were not far away and so I could meet my mother in the Liberty Park, sitting on a bench to have a good talk with Gabriele, too.

In that big house in town on seventh south we lived for ten years. Kurt and I went to an English course, citizen course, and we attended the LDS German Choir in the Assembly Hall. That was a nice time. We took Gaby always to choir practice. Yes, we were dancing, too. We were a happy family. Goetz married Sigrid Wersing and for some years they lived in our house. Later they bought house in Rose Park where they moved in. But their three children were all born in our home on seventh south. 

Now, our daughter Gabriele has grown up in that time into a pretty girl and went to school. When she was eight years old she started piano lessons. But I had to be very strict to let her practice everyday. Later she got a job in Primary playing Primary songs. I received a Primary job. too, teaching four year old Sunbeams for eight years. I learned a lot of English from the children and all these nice primary songs.

My mother was a wonderful example of learning throughout her life. I remember her practicing the same piano lessons that I did as a child. She learned to play the hymns very well. I owe everything I do in music to her. She was persistent and listened to my endless whining. Today I spend every afternoon listening to piano students tell me why they didn't practice. I let them know that they should listen to their mothers and continue enjoying music all their lives.

So everything went fine...My husband always was a thrifty man. He saved money in that time and his plan was to buy a place to build a new house. We found that place here for four thousand dollars. And he had enough to start the foundation. He made the design for the whole house and it is really big. And, I think he did a good job. In summer his worked and in the winter he built on that new place. It took us two years before we could move in this home. I helped a lot, too, painting and more. I was a big hand to him. Even I nailed the roof with him. It's a great experience to build your own home. I remember that day when we fixed Gabriele's room downstairs. It hailed on that day and the hail came into the room. We moved in here on April 1966. Peter married Diane Poulson on January 15, 1965. Peter and Diane were married in the Salt Lake temple. We still lived that time in town. They lived in Poulson's home for some years, and went to college or teached school.

Our dear mother who lived most the time in Hannchen's home, died in March 1965. It was a big shock for us. She was sick for two to three weeks. She still attended Peter's wedding. We had always good times on Easter and summer when we visited them in Murray. She is buried in Murray Cemetery. Kurt and I went a lot there to take care of the grave. He made a nice monument for her place. 

I remember my Grandmother very well. I watched my mother show honor and respect for her. When she died I know it was very painful for her. We continued talking about her and my mother continually reminded me of how much she cared for me. This openness about death helped me cope with the death of my father later in life.

So the time changed many things. Lisesel's husband died, too. But he saw our house most finished. G
Gaby was twelve years old when we moved here. She had to graduate from Primary in a new ward and come into Mutual. She went to Granite High School and made many friends. 
   Geotz our eldest son, has find a good job at the Post Office and works still there. 
  When Ingo came home from his mission he went to BYU for his Doctorate Degree. He has find a girl there and married her. He was twenty eight years old and took Kathy Pittard for his wife. They were married July 19, 1969 in the Idaho Falls temple. I liked Kathy much when Ingo brought her to our home the first time. 

So Kurt finished his second house in some years. We always rented these two apartments on the other side. We had good and bad renters and we learned a lot, but we never had one empty. After Gaby graduated from High School she wanted to go to BYU, too. She made three semesters and married Mark Burgess from Texas who also attended BYU. But they both didn't finish school and we were not satisfied with that. Mark always had a business in mind. And his income was never high so we had to support her a lot. Ingo and Kathy were not rich at the first when he still went to school. Peter and Diane had the best start, because both had a teaching job when they got married. 
   When we lived here in that new home we did quite a lot of things. In Provo we had always our children to visit. There was Ingo with family and then gaby. Even Peter and Diane lived a while in Provo. We enjoyed having grand-children. Goetz and Sigrid had three, Rosi, Rolfe, and Robert. Rosi got married and has two children. They were moving very often and now at this time they live in Las Vegas. 
Peter and Diane got their first child after seven years marriage. And now have three girls. After two times moving, going to school again for his Doctorate Degree, they now are in Gunnison. They have a brand new home, very nice, and Peter is principal in the high school. Diane is mother and housekeeper. Ingo and Kathy moved from Provo to California, from there to Saudi Arabia for one and one half years. Then to Washington D.C. His jobs were always better. Now they are living in Iowa City, Iowa and have a very big house and he is professor at the Speech and Hearing Center at the University. They have three children named Karin, Michael, Jason, and will have a new baby next summer. Kathy always gives piano lessons. Ingo is in the Bishopric and a great singer. Gabriele and Mark still live in Provo in a rented house. They have four children. They are all beautiful. Mark still needs to have a bigger income.

As I have allowed myself the opportunity respond to my mother's words, I want to reiterate that my parents valued education and monetary success very much. She showed her disappointment as most mothers do when their children don't choose a path they agree with. I did not fully understand this dilemma until I had children of my own.  At some point we must accept the people we love instead of the vision we have for them.

The plan to go on a trip to Germany was already made in 1976. Our retirement was settled and Kurt stopped to work. After Christmas he started to look for a travel agency. We had fun to get ready all the papers for a visa and passport. We were shopping, too. For Kurt a new suit with all the things who belongs to it. We bought nice suitcases, blue in color and we really enjoyed all these things. The time came closer and Mark and Gaby got the flu. We decided to help them clean the home, to cook, and to take care of the children so Gaby could stay in bed. Later when we were home again we both started with the flu and very bad. We had to see a doctor to get some shots. I still coughed a lot when we started the trip at the end of March. Sigrid was driving us to the airport very early in the morning. i don't want to talk about the problem we had at the airport. We finally got the plane and there we went up into the sky. I was the first time on an airplane and I got trouble with my ears because I acted wrong.

Washington DC at National Airport was our first stop. Ingo and his family lived in Virginia. We were very happy when we saw them coming with their car picking us up to their beautiful home. Spring was already in Virginia, green and moist. I was surprised how nice Washington DC and Virginia is. Ingo and Kathy drove around with us to see the important places. In the time between, Kurt built a treehouse for Michael and Karin. We stood there for five days. Ingo had to work that day so Kathy and the children brought us to the plane for New York. We were sorry to say goodbye. Michael suddenly gave me a big kiss. I will never forget it.

 I like the airport in New York and we had time enough to talk to people who wanted to go to Germany, too. The plane Lufthansa Jumbo 747 went over the ocean at night. It was really comfortable in it. In the morning we saw Germany. Our goal was Frankfurt where my cousin and her husband waited for us to bring us to her home to rest from that trip. We never stood longer than three days by one of the relatives. On Easter we were in Berlin by my sister-in-law Lenten and Renate and her family. One evening we saw Operetta "Maske In Blau".

 I like the airport in New York and we had time enough to talk to people who wanted to go to Germany, too. The plane Lufthansa Jumbo 747 went over the ocean at night. It was really comfortable in it. In the morning we saw Germany. Our goal was Frankfurt where my cousin and her husband waited for us to bring us to her home to rest from that trip. We never stood longer than three days by one of the relatives. On Easter we were in Berlin by my sister-in-law Lenten and Renate and her family. One evening we saw Operetta "Maske In Blau". We didn't have any problems when we traveled into East Germany, to visit my brother Walter and his wife Kläre. With his car we visited Renate in Wiemar and Ullrich with family in Mühlhausen. One evening we went out for dinner. They all have nice apartments.

  We visited my husband's sister Erna, too, in North Germany.  She lives alone. Then we went to see his sister Ilse with husband in Neckarland, beautiful sightseeing. In West Germany we visited my husband's friend Hertwig. He built himself a beautiful home. Not to forget Hildegard Schlaf and family. They live in Werdohl, Sauerland. Their home is attractive, too. We saw our old place where we lived for ten years.

Oh, I forgot our trip to Bavaria, Munich, Salzburg, Wien, beautiful cities with castles and parks. From Salzburg we went with a sightseeing bus to the Salzkammegut where the alps were in the background. In Munich we saw my husband's nephew Lothar and his nice family. But we enjoyed these places so good we could. In Wein we went out to the Reinhard Theater for "Gräfin Mariza" with Marika Rökk. The last route from Haagen we went to Rhein, along to Wiesbaden and from there to Frankfurt again to my cousin Gertrude. After two days rest we studied our schedule for our plane to get home to America. Four weeks were gone. Germany was so green and when we came to Utah we saw just gray, because in that year everything was so dry. But our place looked okay. It was hard to find our daily life again.

   Life would never be the same again for my mother. My father was diagnosed with lung cancer shortly after their trip to Germany. He was shocked by his sudden weakness. After the doctor stopped giving him false hope he dealt with reality and found he did not have the will to fight. My most memorable moment with him during those weeks was a day when we were talking about life after death and he asked to trust on my faith and for the first time in my life, I was able to offer him spiritual strength. He listened and seemed receptive.
   My mother was very strong through those long weeks of care and doctors visits. She did not believe it would be over so quickly and so she was shocked when he died just five months after diagnosis.

   Now if somebody have told me that my husband would die that year I would not believe it. But it happened! After some weeks when we were home he started to cough and I didn't like the sound of it, so we decided to go to a doctor for an x-ray. The picture who came out of it did not look good. It was too much white in it. So he was transferred to a lung doctor in the new St. Mark's Hospital. After more x-rays the results were a tumor in his lungs the right side. It was bad news for us these situation. For many weeks he was treated with Chemo Therapy. But Kurt did not get better. The whole summer was not pleasant for us. He felt bad and weak. His appetite went away. We had visitors from Berlin, Renate and Klaus Biener with their two teenage children. They were a lot by Geotz and Sigrid's home, too. And so we made trips because they wanted to see Utah's beauty. Klaus always drove the car when we went with them so my husband could relax more. The trip to Germany to see all the relatives and my brother and friends and then guests from Berlin meant very much to Kurt.

The new baby of Kathy and Ingo was born the 25th of June, 1982. A boy again. Gregory Kurt. Rosi's third child was born 3rd of October, 1982. Now in this year happened something very nice because our brother Walter could visit us from East Germany. He really came to America for nine weeks. He could not take any money out of his country so we three sisters had to pay the ticket and everything around. He arrived in Salt Lake City with his sister-in-law, Käte, on the 15th of August. We all were at the airport. I saw him five years ago in Germany, but my other sisters did not see him for 35 years. What a joy! The first week we have showed him Salt Lake City, including Temple Square with the sights, and visited relatives. On Labor Day we had a family reunion in Liberty Park. Goetz and Sigrid  went with him on trips. and Norbert was there and took him to California for a week. After that Walter , Hannchen, and myself went on a plane and to Iowa to see Ingo and his family. Gregory was three months old at that time. We enjoyed a whole week there and made short trips there, too. We visited Peter in Gunnison and Gaby in Provo and he saw Ruth's whole family. At last we went to all the great canyons. Hannchen's friend Iwan offered us a nice van and he was the driver. We paid him everything and it was really a beautiful time. These canyons are marvelous and we are glad that we could see so much from Utah.  

Liesel and I went most every week to the Temple. We enjoyed it very much. We took lunches in the cafeteria and went home by bus. Two times we went to the Jordan River Temple.One with Sister Freeking and the other time with Ruth for a German session.
  The summer was nice in my garden and yard. It was much work and watering to do. Goetz and Sigrid cut the grass and Doug Harris did trimming and pruning all around. I had a good harvest of fruit, berries, and vegetables. Peter did help to make a canal so that the ditch water could go a little out of my place. 

   I do not have my job in Relief Society any more because I was tired of it and I had to quit singing because my voice don't get better. I was seven years a chorister. I like to go to church each Sunday.
   Before the end of the year, 1986, I decided to let pull out all my teeth and get new ones. I have a dentist close to me, five minutes walk. His name is Roland Miller. All these weeks it was hard time for me to go to all the treatments. Now I have new teeth and I am feeling better.
   I has a stroke at the 4th of May 1987, and needed help of my people around/ Red Cross helped me to the LDS Hospital and I needed Hanna and Frieda, Goetz and Sigrid. I like to stay in my house and could work inside and outside. Peter came to help too. We went wit Hanna and Freida to the LDS Hospital. So Susan helped too. Gaby, Mark, and the children came to my house for three weeks. Ingo and family came to Salt Lake after their trip to Germany.

Mother was not sick often. I can only remember one other incident when I was fourteen where she had digestive trouble and the doctors feared cancer. After exploratory surgery they did not find anything and so life went on. The stroke she suffered in 1987 was a setback. Much of her English was
 lost and she had a difficult time retrieving the names for things. The therapies made her feel like a child again. Over time she fought to regain control over her life and she continued to be independent. By this time the apartments next door were filled with family which was comforting. Rolf and Sherry were a great joy to her as their daughters, Sierra and Jordon grew up and visited everyday with Oma. Downstairs, Maria, Joanne, and Rebecca made a home while going to college. Mother kept order around her property and often ordered the family around as well.

In 1996 we lost Tante Hanni and Onkel Walter. He died two months after Hanni. Then Tante Liesel sold her house and moved in with Ruth, her daughter. Change will continue to occur and it is hard for the young and the old. This I have learned from your life, dear Mother, with every change you found your balance again and continued on. Watching you I have come to recognize the secrets to your long life; fresh air, a walk every day, fruits and vegetables in your diet, and a nap every afternoon. And, always have something creative to do.

  Marta died at 92 on July 21, 2002. She had many family members with her. Her sister Liesel passed away three years earlier. I think of her so often and feel her with me. 
   On May 29, 2011, I had this sweet experience with her.
     "Today I had a profound experience with the spirit of my mother. Ingo, Kathy, Mark and I were sitting together at church. I was next to Ingo. I felt this strong urge to put my arms around my brother and really encircle him with love. I fought against this urge because it seemed strange and not prompted by me. The desire became stronger and as I rationalized my inaction the speaker at the podium caught my attention and I heard him say, "Do not put off the desires you know are right." At that point I became aware of my mother's spirit longing to hold her son in her arms to shield him from pain and hardship. She seemed to feel guilty for the loss of his sight in his one eye and she seemed aware of his present struggles with his good eye. She pressed me to give him her love unreservedly, a love a mother would pour out upon her beloved son. I did give him that hug. I felt she was pleased with the time we spent together. I rejoice in that experience."

The following transcription is from Marta's journal, written in English, and transcribed by Rebecca

My Dear Husband died in October 31rst 1977 on lung canzer – 66 years old.
Two weeks after we came home from our trip to Germany he started to cough a little bit.  I didn’t like the sound of it.  We dicidet to go to the Doctor for an X Ray.  It was not a good picture of his lungs.  To much white stuff on it.  Doctor Kleine transferred my Husband to a Lunge Doctor in that new Saint Marks Hospital.
After more X Rays the result was a tumor in his Lunge, rigth side.  It was bad news for us, this sitouation.  For many weeks he was treaded with chemoteropie.  But Kurt ditnt get better.  The whole summer was not pleasent for us.  He felt bad and weak.  His appetit went away.  
We had visitors from Berlin.  Renate and Klaus Biener and their to children.  They were a lot in Goetz and Sigrids home too.  And so we made trips, because they wanted to see a lot of Utah’s beauty.  Klaus always drove the car, so my Husband could relaxe more.
The Trip to Germany, to see all his Relatives and my Brother and Friends, and then our guests of Berlin meant very much to Kurt.  The Trip to Germany was plant, two years ago.  He always said “We will go when I am ritired.”  And I am glad we dit it.
It was realy not more much Time for him. I still see his sad Face when He tried to help me a little bit in the yard.  He build this big House and we fixed This place so nice.  The Wall surrounding and all the cement work was done.  And even he left me some nice pieces of art, he created years ago.  We were 44 years marrid.  I always wanted him to get bamptiest, but he dit not believe in a life after.  
When the year 1978 started, Gabriele, my Daughter, was mad at me, because I still was depressed and down because of my Husbands Death.  So I tried to prepare myself for going to the Temple for my Endownment.  I paid Tithing since my Husband Death.  By Interviews from the Bishop and Stake Presidency I received my Temple recoment.  On the 3rd of March 1978 I could go through the Temple in Salt Lake City.  Its a beauty full Temple.  Gabriele helped me very much. Liesel and Ruth, Peter and Diane and her Father, and Rose and Walter went through the Temple.  
Many weeks before, my Husband came to me in a very clear dream.  He was dressed in his coat and hat, looking good and happy.  We talked in German words together and had a very warm Handshacke.  I felt much better after that Dream because I did know he wanted to be baptiesed.  So my son Peter did the work for him a year after his Death. 
October 20, 1978
After so many sunny Days, a very dull one.  I am in bad mood all Day long.
Gaby called in the morning.  They will come up in tomorrow.  Their will be more life in my house.  I am very lonsame.  Hanndren and Liesel gave me a Telefoncall.  Bougth some stuff for macrame but I don’t like to do it.
October 21, 1978
I did not do the macrame.  Gaby with her Family came to visit.  The Baby Andrew has grown alredy.  His face was much ronder.  He was good all Day long.

We had Dinner on 5 o glack und after washing Dishes, we went to the Visitor Center on Temple Square.  It was a beauty full Night when we came out, with all the lights on.  Genie and Jamie were exited and I was happy to be with them.  They went some to Provo at nine o glack, so that Day was gone and much more nice for me.   
October 22, 1978
Sunday!  Went to Church for Sunday School.  Its nice to see all the peaple in the ward.  But I had to much time in the morning and afternoon.  Werner Rosemann picked Liesel myself and Hannchen usd Albert up for Aunt Limas Birthday Party.  She is 87 years old now, what a good age.  Rosemanns Haus was full of friends and we never can be alone with our Relatives.  At last we were singing Folks songs.  We were home 11:30 at Night.
October 23, 1978
Monday!  Leisel and me went to the Temple by bus.  We always have a good time together.  After Temple session we go to the Cafeteria to eat and we are mostly satisfied.  But I am alway tired when I come home.
October 24, 1978
Tuesday!  I finished the Blouse for Wlefare.  Then I diigged a part of the Vegtibele patch, put a lot of leave in.  Then I was cutting something, cleaned up and filled two garbage cans with green staff.
There was Gaby’s Birthday today too.  She is 25 years old now, and has 3 children.
With 25 I had just one Child.  I gave her a Telefone call in the morning.  I think she is happy.
I fixed a pant for Gaby.  Goetz and Sigrid have visit me from 7-9 at the Evening.
October 25, 1978
Wednesday! I did the same thing in the garden then yesterday.
At the afternoon I have sewn 2 Sleepers for Baby Andrew.
The night are always long for me alone.
I played a little piano and did some embroidery on the picture.  Then I even ditnt watsh a show.
I received a letter from Rosie with a little picture of her Baby Brandon.
October 26, 1978
Tuesday!  Relief Society Day
The India Song worked better then we thought.
Lynn Van Natta gave the Lesson very beautiful.  She is a pretty yung Ladie.  I delivered the Blouse I made.  After my hour of Rest I will clean up the Basement.
October 27, 1978
Friday! Nothing Special!
I clean the upstairs, went Food shopping, waterd some of the Lawn.  Usualy, infertanments at Evening.  Weather is still nice and dry.  
Haunchen came with Magazines and Stamps and took some grapes.
October 28, 1978
Saturday!  Vikie and Kelly Crider moved out from the upstairs Apartment.  They lived here vor 13 month.  I like them and the Baby too.  Vickie cleaned the Apartment very well.  I hope I can get along with the new cuple too.  They will move in on Monday, but first I have to paint the Bathroom.  This Apartment is still very nice.
October 29, 1978
Sunday!  I did not go to our Ward, Becouse Gabys new Baby Andrew was blessed.  Goetz u. Sigrid went with me to Provo for that Occasion.  I licke Gabys Ward and the people in it.  I like to be with my Children, and I am very thankful to have them.
October 30, 1978
Monday!  I worked very hard in the Apartment.  Painted Bathroom and the little room and fixed little things.  Some Drapes were cleaned.  At the new evening the new cuple moved in.  There are very yung and I hope they can make it.
October 31, 1978
Tuesday! I worked hard again in the yard.  Some diffing and raking Leaves.  Goetz and Sigrid came in the afternoon.  Goetz pruned some Fruit trees.  Sigrid and me enjoyed the Sun, laying in chairs.  Then we went to the semetary to bring some Flowers to Fathers grave.  Today one year ago he died.  That year went very fast.  But I was very lonly.  Just the Time and the work let me sometimes forgett what I lost.
November 1, 1978
Wednesday! Working in the Yard.  Sewing in the morning.  The leaves are endless.
In the Evening I attended the Scouts Dinner, Karen Gardner picked me up.  The pumkin pie was not good.  Home I went with Bebees.
November 2, 1978
Thursday!  Relief society Day.  Narda gave me a Ride, because it was raining.  Init something, we had rain all night after.  So many weeks dryness.  Our Farther in Heaven has blest us.  At the afternoon Frank Poulsen came and fixed something in the upstairs Apartment.  The heater was out and sow.
November 3, 1978
Friday! Cleaned my upstairs.  Went shopping.  Now my tree in the front is gone.  I am not realy quite happy.  What wold Kurt say?  Sister Belle, my niehbor has sent 2 tree cutter to me and now it Happened.  It’s a lot of mess to clean up.
November 4, 1978
Saturday!  A had Morning in the Yar, clean up the Front.  At noon a Bath and a Haarwash.  Two Hours Rest.  Afternoon the two man have cut the Elm tree.  We cleaned up and I gave them a Check for 80 Dollars.
November 5, 1978
Sunday! I went very early to that Corner 45
th South 7th East to see what is going on there.  And I was rigth, the hole place is baaren. 
I latter listened to the Tabernacle Choir.  12:30 Sunday School and afternoon 4 O Clcok Fastmeeting.  A talk with Gaby, then with Goetz, Hannchen too.

November 6, 1978
Monday!  Temple Day for Liesel and me.  We went to the 11 o’Clock Session. It worked nice again with Bus. After the session, Dinner in the Cafeteria.  I ate Fish, Vegetable, Mashpotetoes with gravy and apple pie.  Home an 4 O Clock.  Changed by clothe and went into the yard to work on Hour very hard.

November 8, 1978
Wenesday!  I digged the last piece of the vegitable patsh.  I am glad its over.  I racked a lot leaves and filled again three plastic sakes.  Gotz and Sigrid have visit me.
November 9, 1978
Tuersday! Relief Society Day.  I was in the Nursery.  I gave a Lesson to three Children, they were very good. 
Later we had Lunch, casseroll, salad and good Pumpin pie with Crème.  I walked home, because the wether was still nice, but now its raining.
Its Rosi’s Birthday today.  21 years old.

November 10, 1978
Friday! I liked to clean my House.  In the night before it stardet to snowing.
The tree cutter same to cue another tree, but I dtint let them, because of the wett ground.
Peter and his Family did realy come to Salt Lake in such a bad wether.

November 11, 1978
Saturday!  Peter and I went to Provo it stoped snowing.  Peter went to a meeting and Lunch, I to Gaby for six hours.  The dress fits better I aut shouth.  We cut some Pajamas, together.  I had fun with Jami and Genie.  The baby has grown again.  The are all pretty.  Gennie is much nicer to me now.

November 12, 1978
Sunday!  Peter same with Family to visit.  I toock the mesherments of all three girsl.  They licke to come to my House, running up and down the stairs.
I went to Sunday School with my new Renters.  I don’t think they like our Ward so fast.  Pat picked me up for Choirpractice.  5 oClock Sacrament Meeting.  I sat with Beebes and went home with them.  It was snowing all afternoon and will all nigth. Peter with Family is home now Thanks to God.

November 15, 1978
Monday!  Finished my Picture.  Went shopping.