Sunday, October 9, 2016

October 9- Sunday Reflection

Come Worship Together

Today is Sunday and I will be joining others going in their places of worship. I am unapologetically a Christian, a Christian and a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I feel well founded in my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. In my younger years I felt to cling steadfastly to others of my faith because I was afraid. Afraid that others would misunderstand me. Afraid that I would be influenced by false ideas.



    When I moved onto the island I was welcomed by a church community who seemed delighted to have a new family with kids. But, because of the small community I was stretched to meet many who were not of my faith.


   They impressed me with their dedication and love of family. I entered their churches to participate with community events. 




    One opened their facilities to me to begin a music and movement program for toddlers and pre-schoolers. Each week during set-up, I would see the messages they posted on their bulletin boards and feel inspired.


   Another church hosted music concerts. Their sanctuary had gorgeous stained glass windows that filtered light artistically around the room.


  The island offered me an opportunity to see many spiritual practices that seemed to bring peace and contentment to their followers. 



   I have only some pictured here. There are more buildings of faith. But I think you can see we have many churches. In the 1940's Betty MacDonald, author of Onions In The Stew and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle commented on the location of the many churches downtown. She inferred the presence of the buildings kept the locals in line. I laughed because so many times directions around the island are given in direct relationship to one of the churches. When we first arrived we didn't have street names or numbers.


One part of the island was only easily found if you mentioned that it was in close proximity to the Jesus barn. Sometimes this was said in sarcastic humor but I smiled when I rounded the bend to see the sign. I hope our island continues non-denominational service projects and keeps their hearts open.

 



I am writing for 31 days this October about Island Life. Click here to see the other days of writing.

5 comments:

  1. You certainly have a variety of churches, and I can see why the Jesus barn would be a landmark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The farm is for sale and I hope they keep the sign. It is part of our heritage.

      Delete
  2. Thank-you, Dalene. I love reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?