I publicly accepted a challenge. As part of an online piano teaching class, I announced that I would learn the Bach Two Part Invention No.8 in ten days. So what do I expect of myself?
- My practice time will be limited
- I will have to set the fingerings from day one
- I will have to slow my tempo down to play without mistakes
- I will feel discouraged with fingers that move with less agility than when I was younger
- Some measures will be smooth as silk and others will bump and often crash
- I will have many, many repetitions with mistakes
- I will get discouraged at day six
- I will learn to love this piece with every fiber of my being
This process is not so different from my relationship with Jesus Christ. I am limited, I need a strong foundation of ways to connect to him, I will often feel discouraged as I make less than stellar choices, and I will learn to love him with every fiber of my being if I give myself to Him.
I have been writing with the Five Minute Friday group for three years and I really enjoy the talented writers who share themselves each week.