Monday, June 5, 2017

Nurturing Monday- Nurturing For The Wrong Reason

Nurture-the process of caring for and encouraging the growth or development of someone or something.

Have you ever watched a TV show or movie with a character called "a fixer"? They are advertise that they can make something go away or make something happen. They can change the destiny of a person or an organization. What a powerful role. It may be that I confuse the role of mother with that of a fixer. 


The word nurture is a verb so it carries action within it's meaning. There are so many right reasons to nurture but I believe there are some wrong reasons, as well. I like to think that I am still nurturing my family, even though my children are all over thirty, with families of their own. Sometimes my family does not respond in the way I anticipate. The irritation that creeps up with my family is a red flag that I may be nurturing a role of "fixer", instead of mother.

This Saturday will be very busy on the island where I live. Visitors will travel by ferry to be part of ballets, drama performances, even sheep dog trials which fascinate so many people. I picked this day to have a piano recital. I have grandchildren participating who must travel by ferry. The "fixer" in me wants to warn, admonish, and even arrange rides from the boat to the recital venue. Will they make it? Sure, this sounds like I am helpful. But, I don't worry much about the other students arriving. If they encounter a hang up and come late or, worse, don't show, I feel sorry but not personally responsible. I know I am nurturing "the fixer" when I want to take control of the outcome. This kind of nurturing does not provide strength and support to my family, it puts stress and potential disappointment into an already stressful day. This is an example of nurturing for the wrong reason.

This month I will be looking a little closer at the possible dark side of nurturing. 





To go to the overview of My Year of Nurturing click here.





No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?