Friday, September 1, 2017

Neighbor

                      Who is thy neighbor?


      There is a Community Care Home down the street from me. Elderly neighbors live there and I was invited to come regularly to play music. I connected with some really warm hearted musicians who shared so openly. They even embraced some of my piano students who came to learn how to accompany. 




    At first as I involved myself with this group I had to deal with my own sadness. I met with people who I had known before their decline into memory loss. It was hard for me to "look loss in the face". Really, the weeks of holding back was about my own unwillingness to see my mortality. At some point I felt the impression to look at how I could contribute better. I started observing more and pulling away less. I saw how some people waited, while others chatted and embraced. 
I learned how to be a better neighbor.





 I have been writing with the Five Minute Friday group for more than three years and I really enjoy the talented writers who share themselves each week.

5 comments:

  1. You are such a blessing to your neighbors providing love and music. I am your neighbor on the #FMF linkup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you are a great blessing to your friends in the home and that your music brings them joy. I love that you are able to involve your piano students too and teach them about being a good neighbour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet you were such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat ministry! Learning how to be a better neighbor is always good.
    Christy
    I'm in the 47 spot this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it is hard, and it does remind you of your own mortality. I have found it has made me more aware of the choices I make today that might effect my health in the future. Your piano playing ability, and learning new and harder pieces is definitely an advantage. Novel and hard seems to help bank cognitive reserves for the brain.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?