Monday, September 18, 2017

Nurturing Monday- Inviting My Students To Act

How do I invite my students to act instead of acting upon them?

It is nurturing Monday and this month I am exploring ways to nurture my students. Nurture is my word this year. I teach 7-8 year olds in church every Sunday. They are normal, active kids who often are bored out of their minds. We do way too much talking at them and less engaging their busy heads. 


   There is a message I want to give each week but I try to find ways to teach that message while they are involved. Journals allow me to get out the paper, pencils, scissors and glue to invite them to create something for themselves out of the message.



    Do you ever wonder how much your students recall from week to week? If you teach in any capacity you might want a new way to review material you have covered. Here is a fun way. I call it Scripture Man but you could call it anything. 

This game requires knowledge but luck is also a factor in winning. Here are the rules.

Make a list of 10 questions which have one word answers. 

Assign each question a grid coordinate, i.e.; A-7, B-10, F-12

Pass out the Scripture Man handout and have them fill out the grid with the little pictures. The coveted point is scripture man which they can only place once, worth 50 points. The dreaded points are the three bombs which would wipe out all the previous points they earn.

I ask the question and they write down their answer. When all have answered I tell them that if they answered correctly they could have all the points on the coordinates which were assigned to that question. For example; you may have all the points assigned to the star if you put it there on B-4.

Then we go on to question number 2, and ect.
After question 10 everyone adds up their points and the Scripture Man is rewarded, or just applauded.



Scripture Man Template and an older student version

  It is while I have them all engaged that I can teach extended principles. Children listen when they are invited to act for themselves. This isn't easy but each week I hope to nurture these children further.





To go to the overview of My Year of Nurturing click 

1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea! Finding new, creative ways to engage children and make it interactive are do important!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?