Thursday, January 20, 2011

365 Voices

Introducing.................(doubling as a seminary teacher)


Jeffrey Simpson

   "I've been talking in different voices for as long as I can remember, and now I occassionally get paid to do it. I'm also a regular in the Children's Theater group, Storybook Theater. I have a degree from BYU in Broadcast Journalism. In my free time I enjoy watching movies and being with my beautiful wife, Janelle."

Jeffrey is blogging everyday, bringing us the New News Show. How did this all come about?

It all started when I was a Junior in High School...I had interviewed for and been chosen to be the new "Morning Announcements Guy" (the official title was actually Commissioner of Student Relations, I believe). My 16 years of talking to myself in funny voices and doing comedy routines in the mirror were finally going to come in handy.

But before I got behind the microphone for the first time (actually it was a telephone), I decided I wasn't going to just read the announcements...I was going to come up with either a new skit or a new character every day of the school year.

In June of 2000, I achieved my goal...I had created 50 characters and written well over 100 skits.

In October of 2010, I was sitting in a voice-over class, led by the talented Scott Burns, when I suddenly had an idea...what if I started a blog and came up with a new character voice every day for 365 consecutive days? It seemed like a fun, if not overwhelming concept, but something was missing. Well, later that night, I discovered that "something."

The 365 characters you will hear over the next 365 days will be just that-characters in a story, not just amusing voices on a blog. Utilizing my Broadcast Journalism degree (finally!), I will give you a behind-the-scenes look at a wacky radio news station that is being financed for (oddly enough) one year.

If the news isn't really your thing, don't despair. The episodes will cover a variety of topics (movies, commercials, every day life, etc.) and feature an array of wacky characters (anchors, celebrities-living and dead, every day people, inanimate objects, etc.). AND, since none of us have a ton of time, the episodes won't last more than about 90 seconds.

And so it is with great pleasure (and a feeling of 'how the heck am I going to pull this off?') that I invite you to join me on this exciting adventure of...365 Days of Voices. Wish me luck!
You can catch his show at
www.365daysofvoices.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?