Sunday, October 2, 2011

Conference Sunday

I am adding my thoughts to a MEME about general conference. This twice a year event adds thoughtful reflection to my life. Here are the questions others have asked and my answers.


1.  Who were your three favorite speakers? My favorite three speakers were President Uchtdorf on Saturday, President Eyring on Sunday, and Elder Ardern on Saturday.

2.  Which talk spoke to you the most? President Eyring was very personal about his mission as an apostle. I felt his emotion touched me and the spirit testified to me that there are men who are living apostles of Jesus Christ.

3.  What was your favorite Hymn and why did it move you? The choir director, whose name escapes me now, does lovely arrangemnts of hymns. There were several whose organ interludes were beautiful and added so much to the melody of the hymn. My favorite, however, was Consider the Lilies of the Field, by Roger and Melanie Hoffman. I sang that with my daughter and brother when my granddaughter was blessed. She was born two months early and we considered her pain and suffering everyday she was in the hospital.

4.  Which speaker was the best dressed?  (Come on, we can have a little fun.) I liked the guy in the suit.

5.  Were there any topics that you felt like were repeated often?  Any conference “themes”? The theme I heard the most was God knows me and watches over me in my joys and struggles.

6.  Share a few of your favorite quotes from any of the talks
(paraphrasing is fine). "compared to God we are nothing, but to God we are everything." Press. Uchtdorf, "you could take the currency of all the world and it would not buy a loaf of bread in the economy of God" Pres. Uchtdorf

7.  Name something(s) that made you smile or laugh during conference. I smiled at Pres. Monson's hello when he spoke in the middle of the Saturday Morning session, but I did not catch on to what was happening. Was he late coming into conference? I was listening to audio only.

8.  Was there any evidence that your children paid attention? I have not talked to them yet, although I am having my son's family for dinner tonight.

9.  What doctrine did you learn as you listened to the choir(s) sing? As the choir was singing We Ever Pray for Thee,I learned the tender feelings the Lord has for his prophet. The music established that feeling and the spirit testified of that truth.

10.  Did the music enhance your General Conference experience? How? I listened to conference with ear phones which emphasized the bass tones. The organ was so deep and resonant through the ear buds.

11.  What are some of your post-conference goals? My goal is to listen to and read these talks again and dicuss them with my seminary students.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I loved Consider the Lilies as well.

    I hope it is okay. I didn't have the linky-code on my post when you commented. I added your post to the linky code.

    Thanks, Lesa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your answer to #4. Very clever. And if you want a little help with your goal in #11, join us here:
    http://diapersanddivinity.com/gcbc

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the guy in the suit, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't wonderful to know and feel that God knows us and loves us??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo!!! I loved this. Such a great idea. I added your link to my Sunday Thoughts Post. I hope you don't mind!!!

    Thanks,

    Erin
    http://someoneinmind.blogspot.com/2011/10/sunday-thoughts-general-conference.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wasn't President Erying's talk fantastic? I found his emotional testimony incredible moving as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. *incredibly moving, that is. Ha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great Conference--as always. Loved your answer to #4 ; )

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?