Thursday, June 21, 2012

Summer Forest Trail


    It is time to revisit my favorite forest trails and explore a few new ones. Yesterday, my photographer friend and I, set out to do the Burton Acres Trail. I am always surprised to see the changes in the forest. Huge Maple trees keep things shady and moist on this trail. I was on the look out for Troll Stools, described by Bianca Perla in her book, Family Walks. In her definition a troll stool is a stump which has bark growing back over it's top nourished by root systems around the base. Could this be one? It was hollow with new growth on top.



A sweet mushroom family stood at attention on top of a fallen log, shaded by ivy growing all around.


This forest trail is so quiet and peaceful, with natural couches and chairs to rest and recuperate from the jungle of life.


                       A new installation this year were the trail signs. It could be a big scout eagle project. They brought a cultivated air to the trail and helped me emerge in the right place at the end.


 "But it is hard to speak of these things
        how the voices of light enter the body
          and begin to recite their stories
         how the earth holds us painfully
           against
        it's breast made of humus and brambles"
                           Billy Collins


 "The rain to the wind said,
     "You push and I'll pelt."
   They so smote the garden bed
   And the flowers actually knelt
   And lay lodged-through not dead,
   I know how the flowers felt."
               Robert Frost 


  This particular trail has the bonus of coming out at the beach. What heaven to contrast deep woods and water's edge.


    My friend and I gathered sea souvenirs and I laid a collage of neutral colors amongst the driftwood.


Note to myself: Find "Gift From the Sea" by Anne Morrow Lindbergh and reread the message of solitude. Also, walk a trail once a week with a friend or with my Grands. You need it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?