Friday, September 14, 2012

Time for Plum Cake

     My son's family brought me some plums they picked. I knew it was time to make Oma Titze's Plum Cake, Pflaumenkuchen. Most of us loved it and it reminds us of her so here is my recipe which comes pretty darn close to the original minus the feisty German.
    This recipe has a yeast cake bottom which is why I particularly love it.



      Dough
         3 3/4 cups flour
         1 1/2 T. yeast
         5 T. sugar
         1 C. milk
         1/3 C. butter, unsalted, melted
         1 egg
         pinch of salt
                                Sift the flour first and notice Oma's politically incorrect toaster cover.

   
Warm the milk and add 1 T. sugar and yeast. Let it bubble and rise for 20 minutes. Then pour it into the middle of the flour.


    Add the rest of the ingredients and work into a soft dough. Let rise at least 1/2 hour. While the dough is rising wash the 3 pounds of plums and cut them in half and pit them. I had unripe plums yesterday and it worked fine but ripe ones are juicier.


    After the dough has risen press into a cookie sheet with sides. I use a rolling pin to even the thickness.


      Layer the plums closely together and if you run out put some apples slices in the middle. I brushed a crabapple jelly over the plums because they were unripe, but that is optional.


     Streusel Topping-
        1 cup flour
        1 cup sugar
        1 stick butter
        1 tsp. cinnamon

   Mix this together with your hands and sprinkle over the top. Bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees in a pre-heated oven.


   Channel Oma and realize she would be proud of you but yours would not be as good. That's just the way it is and always was.
 

             I had to freeze half the cake to keep from ruining my daily calorie intake. It is a bit of home.


2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness. this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that looks and sounds delicious, especially since it has a yeast base. I'm going to copy your recipe and try it out later this week. Thank you so much! (since the options below won't link to me here is who I am: www.dianeschuller.com/blog)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?